About the role
Shopify has been hard at work building and scaling its data pipeline. We produce billions of events every day, and we want to be able to do more with it. We use Kafka to act as the plumbing for our blazing-fast, scalable, and reliable publish-subscribe messaging system. It is used to power systems like our Elasticsearch multi-datacenter replication technology, merchant facing reports as well as our entire logging and analytics pipelines.
We’re looking for a Senior Kafka Engineer who can help the team become more productive by championing projects, setting technical direction, while building more automation and better internal tooling for Kafka. Ideally you have some management or supervisory experience, but we won’t turn you away if that’s only something you’re interested in pursuing and are otherwise a great fit.
Just a quick note: there is an on-call component to this position. We fix things right when they break, even if it means doing it in our jammies.
You'll need to have:
- Experience in distributed data stores (not necessarily Kafka)
- Software Development / Programming skills. We mostly work with Ruby and Go, and occasionally Python and Java.
- Proven track record of delivering projects quickly with high quality
It'd be great if you have experience with:
- Kafka, Logstash, or other message-passing systems
- JVM-based software
- Kubernetes, Amazon EC2, or Google Cloud PlatformDocker or LXC containers
- Experience leading a team of high-performing engineers
You’ll be working on things like:
- Championing projects which evolve our Kafka infrastructure into a product that delights our internal customers
- Working with the engineering team to build, scale, and automate distributed, multi-datacenter systems
- Acting as the go-to expert for engineers who have questions about Kafka infrastructure
- Building data-pipeline monitoring tools for tracking availability, data completeness, etc.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application. Please take some time to tell us why you’d be an awesome addition to our team and how this role would be a fit for you!
Closing date: July 23rd at 3pm EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Android Developer - Core Mobile||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Database Engineer - Datastores||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Production Engineering - Observability Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Senior Developer, Shopify Plus||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Senior Infrastructure Engineers||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|VP Engineering, Shopify Plus||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Technical Lead (Staff Developer), Shopify Plus||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Technical Program Manager, Production Engineering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|