About the role
Hundreds of thousands of businesses have bet their success on the reliability and performance of the Shopify platform. Uptime, resiliency and efficiency are critical to these businesses and as a result of Shopify's rapid growth and massive scale, we have many interesting and challenging infrastructure problems to solve.
The Production Foundations team builds and maintains Shopify’s critical infrastructure through software and systems engineering. We build the tools that build the infrastructure that powers Shopify’s app platform.
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager who can continue developing and execute a coherent strategic vision for the future of Shopify’s infrastructure on top of public clouds. This will involve putting together the pieces of the puzzle from other team’s roadmaps, and looking for opportunities to “level us up” rather than relying on incremental improvements. You should also be comfortable with writing code to solve interesting infrastructure problems, and working within Linux both as an operator and a developer.
You'll need to have:
- Experience building, leading and scaling a technical team
- Experience building resilient infrastructure on top of cloud building-blocks
- Knowledge of cloud networking
- Knowledge of cloud compute infrastructure
- Knowledge of infrastructure automation tools and techniques
You'll work on things like:
- Building and leading teams to meet current and future engineering objectives
- Shipping and operating projects to automate the creation of every foundational cloud infrastructure (ie. Regions, Clusters, all other network appliances and Shopify’s overall virtual network topology)
- Collaborating with other Shopify developers and external partners
- Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for roadmap items
The major projects and initiatives you will be responsible for shipping and operating would be:
- Our “Production Registry”, our centralized infrastructure source of truth
- A fully automated “App Migrator”, seamlessly moving apps between regions
- Leading us towards disposable clusters and seamless multi-cluster scheduling
- Tooling that will seamlessly bootstrap shopify instances and clusters anywhere, on any cloud
- End-to-end testing of the platform functionality to ensure a sustainable, reliable platform
Tools of our trade:
- Ruby, Rails
- Google Cloud Platform
- Cloud APIs
Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application!
Posting will close January 20th 4pm ET.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Production Engineering - Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Staff Developer, Checkout||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Apprentice Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|