About the role
Are you looking for an opportunity to work on planet-scale infrastructure? Do you want your work to impact thousands of developers and millions of customers? Do you genuinely enjoy tackling complex problems, and learning through experimentation? Shopify Production Engineering is all this and more.
The Production Engineering team builds and maintains Shopify’s critical infrastructure through software and systems engineering. We make sure Shopify—the world’s fastest growing commerce platform—stays reliable, performant, and scalable for our 1000+ member development team to build on, and our 800,000+ merchants to depend on.
The Production Platform team is in need of a senior full-stack engineer with experience building user-facing applications to help build out Shopify’s Heroku-style self-service PaaS product.
In this role you’ll have the opportunity to work on many of the products and tools that Engineers at Shopify interact with as they build and ship features to merchants. Plus, you’ll be exposed to a variety of cloud platform technologies like Kubernetes, Redis, Memcached, CloudSQL, Kafka, Elasticsearch, networkworks and routing, storage solutions, and more.
On our team, you’ll get to work autonomously on engaging projects. Here are some of the things you could work on:
- Build out Shopify’s Heroku-style self-service PaaS product for our 1,500 person R&D team that operate over 400 production services
- Build on top of one of the largest Kubernetes deployments in Google Cloud (we are operating a fleet of over 50+ clusters)
- Collaborate with other Shopify developers to understand their needs and ensure our team works on the right things
- Build tooling that delights Shopify developers and allows them to make an impact quickly
- Work as part of the engineering team to build and scale distributed, multi-region systems
- Investigate and resolve production issues
- Build languages, frameworks and libraries to support our systems
- And plenty more!
We also understand the importance of sharing our work back to the developer community:
- Architecture to handle 80K RPS Celebrity Sales (Learn more about this on ourengineering blog)
- Bootsnap: Optimizing ruby app boot time
- Ghostferry: an open source cross cloud, multipurpose database migration tool and library
- Services DB: A platform to manage services across various runtime environments
- Systems and automation for our data centers
- Shipit: Our open-source deployment tool
Interested in applying? You should have experience with one or more of the following:
- Being a generalist developer who is comfortable with multiple languages such as C, Ruby, and Go
- Hands-on development with cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCE, Azure, Kubernetes, Docker)
- Working anywhere in the stack, from right beside the OS and upWorking with a variety of open-source software including nginx, redis, memcached and MySQL
- Building large distributed systems at scale
- Creating and pushing adoption of development tools to a large, distributed development team
- Automating development processes such as continuous integration and continuous delivery
Tools of our trade: Ruby, Rails, Go, Kubernetes, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, Docker, CI Pipelines, Distributed Systems, Google Cloud
Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application.
Closing date: September 11th at 3pm EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Development Manager - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Web Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Staff Security Developer - Internal Security||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Infrastructure Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Staff Developer - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Web Developer - Vault Tools||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Waterloo|
|Production Engineering - Storefront Renderer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Datastores - Database Engineer -||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Senior Anti-Abuse Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Developers and Managers - Shipping Services||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Web Developer (Shopify Web)||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Security Engineering Lead - Mobile Applications||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|