About the role
This role will be primarily responsible for monitoring financial reconciliation, investigating discrepancies, and determining whether they are due to issues on our end or the vendors (3PLs and carriers). It may also involve creating and running SQL reports, and working with Finance and our operational partners to reconcile cross-company discrepancies. Although the role does not require coding skills, you will work closely with our engineering team to help identify and fix sources of financial discrepancies in Shopify’s code.
We are looking for someone who thinks differently about problems, values systems thinking, and knows how to get shit done. You will work in a complex environment, and managing multiple stakeholders both internally and externally to Shopify. With great growth potential, this role has the potential to expand into a cross-project and general team program manager role over time. It’s a great opportunity to make a huge impact on the growing team!
You'll be doing things like:
- Establish and maintain benchmarks for identifying and alerting of financial discrepancies between our local expected/calculated rates and shipping carriers’ returned rates
- Investigate discrepancies and anomalies in shipping rates or warehousing operations using tools such as:
- Internal database information and local calculations, including creating SQL reports
- Rate re-calculations using your knowledge of carriers rating logic
- Communication with external parties to understand source rates and reconcile external calculations
- Follow up and conclude on discrepancies, working cross functionally to resolve the underlying reason for the discrepancies including:
- Coordinating with external parties to have issues on their end resolved
- Coordinating with the Shopify Shipping engineering team for any changes to our logic
- Report findings regularly, monitoring and tracking progress and providing suggestions and recommendations to continually improve our reconciliation process
- Develop strong working relationships with your counterparts at external partners, leveraging these to effectively reconcile cross-company discrepancies
- Establish specifications and processes for working with carriers and our 3PL’s, identify risks and opportunities within these relationships.
- Use your program quality skills to tackle other problems as required
- Experience working in the shipping industry and 3PLs, specifically with carrier rates and fulfillment pricing.
- A combination of technical and business acumen, preferably gained in a tech environment
- The ability to create order out of chaos by asking tough questions and working closely with other technical members on the team
- Natural ability to analyze metrics
- Be proactive and relentless: capable of seeking information independently, solving conceptual problems, and corralling resourc es and delivering results
- Ability to craft and implement light-weight processes that scale efficiently
- Ability to influence and improve current product operations
IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE KEEP READING!!
OK, are you excited to apply? Awesome. We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. If you want to address a message to the hiring team, please address it to Paul.
Also, we really want you to answer the following question.
How comfortable are you with running SQL queries?
Finally, at Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
This application will close at 12.01am on Saturday, April 17.
Not what you’re looking for? Check out these similar roles.
|Learning Specialist - Shopify Fulfillment Network||Business Operations||Canada|
|Continuous Improvement Specialist||Business Operations||Canada|
|Materials Planning Analyst||Business Operations||Canada|
|Senior Product Operations Manager||Business Operations||Americas|
|Knowledge Management Lead, Shopify Fulfillment Network||Business Operations||Americas|