Sales Development Representative, ANZ
- Sales and Account Management
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
The Sales Development Representative is the front line of the Shopify team. We provide the fastest and best first touch possible for all merchants entering our ecosystem. You will be the first encounter for some of the most exciting Shopify and Shopify Plus merchants coming inbound from our lead generation efforts. All to help us win even more amazing merchants and give them the best experience.
You'll be working on things like:
- Responding and completing high level qualification from live web chats, contact us pages, content and marketing events as well as many other lead sources used to generate interest in Shopify and Shopify Plus
- Creating a positive and valuable first impression to merchants by providing an unrivalled merchant experience
- Maintaining active engagement with new and existing leads through our CRM, Salesforce
- Triage and connect inquiries to the appropriate members of the Shopify Sales Reps by conducting high-level qualifying conversations with prospective merchants
- Contributing to building culture and upholding Shopify values in our growing APAC region
- Liaising with your peers across the world in markets like North America and EMEA to refine process and consistently evolve the scope of the role
- Working with your lead to up-skill in areas of profession and personal development including special personal projects to assist and impact the Sales Delivery team in APAC
You’ll need to have:
- High-energy and have a positive attitude
- 1-2 years+ Experience in Sales Development
- Merchant focused mentality
- Demonstrate excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- Be a highly motivated, driven and self-starting individual who can hit the ground running
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment and be able to live in the grey
- Strong process improvement skills to help develop the role as things change with the business
- An understanding of customer needs and to meet those individual needs with proper introductions to our Shopify Sales Reps
- Experience in outbound sales development beneficial
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering