About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how businesses of all sizes operate, market, and sell their products and services. With over 1 million merchants in more than 175 different countries, powered by the most innovative platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while continually looking for new ways to impact and disrupt markets. Today, Shopify is a $40 billion company, and there are no signs of slowing down.
Frictionless commerce is an integral part of our strategy, which is why we built Shopify Pay and support Apple Pay, Google Pay, and PayPal. Shopify Pay is our accelerated checkout product, and it expanded rapidly since its launch two years ago. More than $4.4 billion of GMV has been processed through Shopify Pay since then, with more than 32 million buyers opting in. Shopify Pay is quickly becoming one of the best ways for buyers to checkout online, and more importantly, it is making checkouts faster for our merchants.
Shopify Pay is looking for a Senior Business Operations Lead to help build and run a world-class operations team within one of the most exciting and ambitious endeavours Shopify is taking on in 2020. You will report directly to our Director of Operations within the team and strive to operate three to six months ahead of the product team in execution: Paving the path forward by unblocking commercial, organizational, investment, support or logistical hurdles. Hurdles that are clear well in advance thanks to the business model you (and your future team) continuously improve through professional analyses and businesses cases that inform everything from our strategy to product roadmap.
Finally, you’ll work closely with leadership, stakeholders and team leads in order to connect our business model and forecasts to throughput and vice versa. Measuring and reporting on progress compared to plan and seeking insights in an effort to constantly improve our understanding of the business drivers and our ability to define and predict our future.
Must haves to be successful in the role:
- Ability to thrive with multiple responsibilities and competing priorities
- Ability and willingness to own the execution within operations before building out the team
- Highly analytical mindset - you convert ideas into business cases and models with clear and achievable milestones that fuel the teams OKRs
- Experience surfacing business insights to better optimize the business, including defining and measuring KPIs and analyzing growth, adoption, margins etc.
- Experience in hiring, leading and coaching a thriving and diverse team
- Strong skills in writing SQL and using Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets to your advantage
- Experience in negotiating large and impactful partnerships and vendor agreements
- Superb communication skills in the broadest sense – proactively identifying context gaps within our team and resolving them through the right channels both written and spoken
- A strong desire to constantly improve yourself and your work environment, and ability to turn those desires into actionsWillingness and ability to travel frequently
Nice to haves but not required:
- Background within engineering, statistics or data science
- Ideally you have experience within the payment or shipping space
- Entrepreneurial experience in starting and running a business
- Experience working in a team across multiple locations
- Experience doing advanced financial analysis
- Monetization experience through willingness to pay analysis
You’ll be doing things like:
- Identifying strategic opportunities and convert them to business cases to help drive business strategy
- Building and maintaining our business model (budget and forecast for 5 years) to reflect our roadmap and educating our entire team on how to interpret it and convert it into actions
- Working closely with team leads in order to maintain a strong relationship between our focus and our budget through the right OKRs
- Owning our business metrics and ensuring leadership receives monthly, quarterly and annual reports on our progress compared to plan along with suggestions on strategic decisions based on insights and analyses
- Hiring and people management within the operations team in Canada to build a productive and diverse team Owning commercial negotiations and partnerships
- Developing our long-term monetization strategy through willingness to pay research and analysis
- Nurturing and leading our relationship with representatives of teams we rely on (Finance, Legal, Talent, Support and more) in order to ensure we’re aligned and coordinate our respective roadmaps for mutual success
We offer immigration and relocation support for successful candidates, so even if you live far away, consider applying.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Birk and Danée are looking forward to reading your application!
Closing date: Friday, February 14 at 9am EDT. <3
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.