About the role
In April 2020 Shopify introduced Shop, its first flagship consumer product. The Shop platform offers buyers multiple benefits like fast and efficient checkouts with Shop Pay and seamless, real-time updates on your order’s journey, from checkout to doorstep. Shop is also the first mobile app that keeps you up to date on shopper's favourite merchants, giving updates on new product launches and timely deals. We’ve even built in a way for buyers to see how their purchases made with Shop Pay will offset delivery emissions via carbon neutral product shipping. The Shop platform already has more than 16 million users on its mobile app and is in the top 5 list in the U.S. shopping category. Shop Pay, a key component of the app, has processed over $8 billion in sales.
Business Development and Strategic Partnerships are core components of the inherent product philosophy in the Shop product line. Our commercial and product teams work closely together to ideate, build, and develop partnerships that make the platform a more effective loyalty tool to sellers, a more engaging and delightful experience for buyers, and a fast-growing business for Shopify. Our goal is for our operations and commercial teams to build for our future needs, paving the path for the entire product line.
By evaluating and executing the right strategic opportunities, these teams ensure our product is able to pursue key revenue and growth opportunities. We are now looking for someone to come in as our first Senior Commercial Lead to drive these initiatives, reporting into our Director of Operations.
The ideal candidate is someone that understands compounding growth and opportunity cost equally well. You will contribute to the key strategic initiatives from narrative to execution. At the tactical level, you will deliver qualitative and data-driven analysis, propose solutions, and manage overall projects. To be successful, you must be a quick learner, strategic thinker, team leader, problem-solver, and have an entrepreneurial spirit. This role is heavily cross-functional and ideal for someone who enjoys defining and building new businesses by getting deeply involved in tactics and execution.
- Thinking strategically about new business models and product integrations.
- Building and conveying compelling value propositions.
- Driving innovation through proactively identifying and assessing new partnership opportunities and performing outreach to these potential partners.
- Working collaboratively with our product teams and other internal Shopify partners to fuel and execute a business development strategy.
- Overseeing relationship management with relevant internal and external partners both pre and post-launch.
- Sourcing and leading new business contracts and cultivating long-term relationships.
- Building a high functioning commercial team long-term, but successfully executing as a team of one before then.
- Analyzing current deals to assess actionable points to optimize growth.
- Supporting global strategic objectives and interests for both Shopify and Shop.
Requirements for the role:
- 5+ years of executing partnerships in the tech, commerce, and/or media industry in a leadership capacity (remember, we take potential into consideration so if you don't have the years behind you, tell us about the impact you've had instead).
- Making things happen in a fast-paced, dynamic environment (examples of this being applied are a plus).
- Developing, monitoring, and driving meaningful KPIs (you are not just metrics-driven, but metrics-obsessed)!
- Negotiating contracts by applying a strong foundation of business and financial acumen.
- Working collaboratively with Product, Design, and Engineering teams.
- Developing and evaluating new revenue models.
- Note: Is some of this new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
- Starting your own business.
- Working with or in the Payments, Shipping, Consumer Mobile, and/or E-commerce spaces.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Melissa is looking forward to reading your application. This posting will close on Thursday May 28th at 4pm EST (UTC-4).