About the role
Shopify’s platform is growing at an incredible rate, generating vast amounts of data. We leverage Google Cloud Platform (GCP) in order to move fast and produce great results. While we operate a comprehensive data stack, we’ve still got a lot of work to do and that’s where you can help! We face many challenges in order to ensure that our data moves seamlessly throughout our infrastructure in a safe and secure manner to protect our merchants while providing new insights and features.
The challenges and work include building out our deployment tools to provide blue/green and zero downtime deploys for our services, developing and deploying services on top of Kubernetes and other GCP products, utilizing frameworks such as Terraform to ensure our Infrastructure-as-code is built and maintained in an efficient and effective manner, and creating opportunities for easily scaling and evolving our data platform as we continue to grow!
We’re looking for engineers with a background in infrastructure, DevOps, and cloud technologies that are interested in collaborating on these challenges with an SRE mindset and deploying platform services on a very large scale. You’ll need a curiosity of how our systems work under the hood and how we can leverage them for building a data platform to truly help and grow the hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs on Shopify’s platform. We’d love to grow our team with someone that is passionate about helping us solve these challenges and continue to build out our data platform to make commerce better for everyone.
You’ll need to have:
- A systems-level approach; you’ve worked across the entire stack, from the OS all the way up to the application layer.
- Comfort with multiple languages; you’re a low-level generalist who is comfortable with multiple languages such as Go, Python and languages which target the JVM like Java, Scala or Kotlin.
- A mind for scale; you’re curious about building large distributed systems, and often ask the question, “but does it scale?”.
- A passion for troubleshooting and finding the solution for the long-term; you don’t accept the easy solution as the only solution, and will dig to ensure that we put the long-term benefit of our merchants and stakeholders first.
- Well-founded opinions about writing code and approaching problems; you’re comfortable with automated testing, code refactoring, and software engineering best practices.
- Excitement for working with a remote team; you value collaborating on problems, asking questions, delivering feedback, and supporting others in their goals whether they are in your vicinity or entire cities apart.
It’d be nice if you have experience:
- Working with data at petabyte scale.
- Running or using Kafka, Spark, Presto, Hive, Airflow, YARN or Hadoop.
- Any Cloud Platform (GCP, AWS or Azure): Compute instances, deployment tooling, storage, networking, etc.
- Developing and orchestrating large Docker deployments both with Kubernetes and without.
- Using log aggregation technologies and monitoring tools (e.g. Splunk, Datadog, Stackdriver).
You'll be working on:
- Ensuring that our data platform stays online, secure, and performant.
- Creating and deploying infrastructure around specific requirements.
- Developing configuration management and automation tools.
- Building out our monitoring and analytics tooling to get insights about our platform usage.
- Providing automation for on-demand test cluster deployments.
- Building a world-class data analytics platform to help both internal and external customers, focusing on making the lives of our hundreds of thousands of merchants better.
If you’re interested in helping Shopify shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.