About the role
Data is a crucial part of Shopify’s mission to make commerce better for everyone. We organize and interpret petabytes of data to provide solutions for our merchants and stakeholders across the organization. From pipelines and schema design to machine learning products and decision support, data science at Shopify is a diverse role with many opportunities to positively impact our success.
Our data scientists focus on pushing products and the business forward, with a focus on solving important problems rather than specific tools. The vision of the team is to grow Shopify by bringing global merchants onto our platform, and making them successful wherever and to whomever they sell. As part of the International data science team your job will be to help our teams, both commercial and RnD, to make great decisions, quickly. You will focus on the challenges that arise from adapting Shopify to local commerce needs and requirements, and help our teams steer into the right direction by providing the right data at the right time.
Please note, this team is based in EMEA/Europe, and we are specifically looking for people to join us in these regions only.
- Proactively identify and champion projects that solve complex problems across multiple domains.
- Partner closely with product, engineering and other business leaders to influence product and program decisions with data.
- Apply specialized skills and fundamental data science methods (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when needed) to inform improvements to our business.
- Design and implement end-to-end data pipelines: work closely with stakeholders to build instrumentation and define dimensional models, tables or schemas that support business processes.
- Build actionable KPIs, production-quality dashboards, informative deep dives, and scalable data products.
- Influence leadership to drive more data-informed decisions.
- Define and advance best practices within data science and product teams.
You will need to have:
- Extensive experience with Python and software engineering fundamentals.
- Experience with applied statistics and quantitative modeling (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when needed).
- Demonstrated ability to translate analytical insights into clear recommendations and effectively communicate them to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Curiosity about the problem domain and an analytical approach.
- Strong sense of ownership and growth mindset.
You should have one or more of:
- Deep understanding of advanced SQL techniques
- Expertise with statistical techniques and their applications in business
- Strong data storytelling and strategic thinking
- Deep understanding of dimensional modelling and scaling ETL pipelines
- Experience launching productionized machine learning models at scale
- Extensive domain experience in e-commerce, marketing or SaaS
- It'd be great if you can speak, read and write in either German, French, Spanish or Italian.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Dan is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you and your interest in joining our team.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, racialized people, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community today by visiting www.talent-community.myshopify.com