About the role
At Shopify, we empower 1,000,000 entrepreneurs all over the world. We're looking for hard-working, passionate people to help us make commerce better. For over 10 years we have been super driven when it comes to using data insights to help drive our product direction and make things better for our merchants.
At Shopify, we recognize that after our people, our most important asset is our data. With over 10+ years of aggregate ecommerce data, we are driven by the potential insights that our data can provide. Our 1,000,000 merchants process over $72 billion in gross merchant volume through our platform, and depend on us to deliver insights that enable them to grow their business. The Data Science & Engineering team acts as the impact multiplier for Shopify’s product teams, putting over 11 petabytes of data to work to make our merchants more successful. From delivering merchandising insights, to optimizing shipping and processing rates, to reducing credit card fraud, to ad campaign recommendations - our Data Scientists deliver solutions from pipeline to platform via an array of open source tools.
We have great opportunities to join our Data Science Team based in Toronto:
Our Shopify Retail team’s mission is to make in-person commerce better for everyone. We build products and technology that empower leading brands to create exceptional in-person selling experiences. One innovation at a time, we are partnering with entrepreneurs to build the next generation of retail. Shopify Retail is growing incredibly quickly and is among Shopify’s top long-term priorities. The Retail Data science team is a strategic partner across Product, Engineering, Go-to-market (GTM), and Biz ops. We enable these functions to make data informed decisions by bringing visibility and strategic insight.
A key element to helping Shopify grow and scale for years to come is to use the unprecedented amount of data available to make smart marketing investments. We are looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our Marketing Data Science team and help shape the insights and algorithms that will inform our marketing strategy as we grow globally. From understanding how users respond to various marketing messages and channels to providing new ways of understanding marketplace dynamics and entrepreneurial needs, you’ll work with marketing and 1st party data in a privacy compliant way to make it easier than ever for people to start their own business with Shopify. From Media Mix and Brand Impact analyses to performance marketing, organic growth, and spend optimization, you’ll use modern approaches to help solve both traditional marketing needs and work through the challenges of modern digital marketing, both for new users and for CRM with existing merchants.
You’ll need to have:
- Understanding of dimensional modelling concepts and database design/architecture or experience with feature engineering both at model build and in production
- Experience with statistical methods like regression, GLMs, clustering, experiment design, including sampling and multi-armed bandit approaches, shipping productionized machine learning systems at scale and other predictor or classifier models
- Extensive experience using Python including a strong grasp of object oriented programming (OOP) fundamentals
- Extensive experience analyzing data using SQL
- Exposure to Tableau, QlikView, Mode, Matplotlib, Jupyter, or similar data visualization tools
It’d be nice if you had:
- Strong background in machine learning including experience implementing models at scale (from Random Forest and GBMs to RNN/CNNs)
- Knowledge of digital marketing and traditional media data and metrics
- Previous experience using Spark (esp. via Python or Scala)
If you’re interested in helping Shopify shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Surina.
Closing Date: Nov.29th at 5PM EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Data Science Manager- Retail||Data Science and Engineering||Toronto, Canada|