About the role
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world to start and grow their businesses. Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down.
This role will be a part of the Product Sourcing team, based in Toronto. In 2020, Product Sourcing will be expanding our product portfolio to introduce new mobile and web offerings. You’ll have a high degree of ownership as you work with a small team to design data models and gather insights which drive product roadmaps
We’re looking for a Data Scientist who has a passion for growing product adoption and identifying opportunities through data analysis. You and your team will work closely with other engineering teams, designers and product managers across the company to drive successful solutions for our entrepreneurs.
We are looking for:
- Someone who thrives on change and is excited to constantly explore new problems and opportunities
- A generalist rather than a specialist - you're excited by experimentation and unblocking anything that stands in the way of success
- A passion for efficiency and teamwork, with a history of delivering insightful data models and reports
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
You will need to have:
- Experience using Python for data analysis, pipelines and modelling
- Extensive experience analyzing data with SQL
- The ability to couple subject matter expertise with strong statistical skills
- Experience with Tableau, Mode, or similar data visualization tools
- Great interpersonal skills, especially when communicating with non-technical teams
It would be great if you have:
- A background in regression, econometrics and/or causal inference
- Previous experience using Spark (esp. via Python or Scala)
- Understanding of dimensional modelling concepts and database design/architecture or experience with feature engineering both at model build and in production
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform
- A love of GitHub
You'll be working on:
- Delivering meaningful insights that will help create more entrepreneurs globally and grow Shopify
- Working closely with the Oberlo and other product teams to inform and influence their roadmaps and drive key product decisions
- Prototyping and building Data Products that make commerce better for everyone
- Working with cross-discipline teams on impactful projects that enhance existing products or create entirely new products
- Deep diving into data to uncover actionable information that will drive the trajectory of product and project teams
What's in it for you:
- You get to work in a dynamic environment with insanely talented people where new features in large scale products are being shipped regularly
- You will grow your career and competencies working in an environment where learning is paramount and not restricted by budgets or reporting
- We give you the freedom to make your own decisions (we trust our employees and are invested in their success)
- Flexible working hours and a competitive compensation package
If you’re interested in helping Shopify shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Surina.
Closing Date: April 24th, 5pm EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.