About the role
Shopify is a commerce platform with the mission to make commerce better for everyone. Shopify powers over one million merchants around the world, and we're just getting started. This role will be part of the International Growth team, a segment within Shopify with the mission to grow Shopify by making commerce better for everyone, everywhere.
At Shopify, we ship on quality instead of time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. Hundreds of thousands of merchants will see your work within minutes – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
We're looking for Senior Developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. Developers who want to join a company with a history of contributing to our community through code. You'll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to bring your authentic self to work, and the chance to work with the best in the business.
Requirements for the role:
- A product-minded developer who cares about the "Why" - Why build this feature? How will we measure impact?
- A generalist (or a T-shaped/Full Stack developer) rather than a specialist, excited by problems that require a mix of frontend and backend skills, and unblocking anything that stands in the way of success.
- Japanese language skills
- Strong foundation of design principles, especially when it relates to platform development in the areas of API, data modelling, and scale.
- Experience in writing automated tests as part of your development workflow (even better if you do it TDD).
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships with other teams, across offices, and time zones.
- A genuine interest in APAC, emerging markets, cultural nuances and/or product localization; bonus for previous experience working within the ecommerce industry across Asia and in Japan.
- The curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too.
- Familiarity with Ruby and/or Ruby on Rails, or the desire to learn quickly.
Projects you could work on (specific to Asia):
- Improve Shopify's onboarding experience- Compliance with international laws, such as GDPR and ePrivacy Regulation.
- Improve integration with local payment providers, such as JCB and Cash on Delivery.
- Improve integration with local shipping carriers.
- Improve Shopify's reliability and speed.
- Engaging with teams across Shopify to ensure all new features are built with our international markets in mind- Focusing on building for the long term, in ways that benefit as many merchants as possible.
- Giving back to the community by open-sourcing some key components.
The tools you will use include:
- Ruby, Ruby on Rails (we also have TypeScript and React).
- MySQL (some Postgres), Splunk, Datadog, Mode.
It would be great if you have:
- A passion for helping growing development teams and making others better.
- A history of contributing to the developer community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing events.
- Experience building resilient, scalable services, and have an appreciation for concepts like SLA, and fault tolerance.
- If some of this tech is new to you, that's ok! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
How to apply
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us an updated CV and a few samples of your work: Github, website, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Jessie is looking forward to reading your application. Regardless of the outcome of your application we will strive to provide an update to you within 3 weeks of your application submission.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.