About the role
At Shopify we’re obsessed with helping our merchants and partners grow their businesses. We know the best way to help them succeed is to build an environment where our employees feel they belong, engaged and connected to our mission to make commerce better for everyone.
About the Employee Experience Research team:
Shopify’s Employee Experience (EX) Research team helps Shopify understand employees and their experiences deeply using a variety of research methods. Our insights guide and inform Shopify’s Talent team towards designing and building better products and experiences for employees today, and in anticipation of the future world of work. Researchers work with teams to incorporate human-centered thinking from problem definition to post-launch iteration. We ask thoughtful research questions, complete literature reviews, conduct contextual research, frame problems, synthesize insights, evaluate concepts or prototypes, and assist with launches and releases.
We’re looking for a researcher to join our team to help us drive deeper insights into the current employee experience to directly inform its continued evolution. If you’re empathetic and curious about people, passionate about research and organizational psychology, and excited about combining the three to help inform the conditions for employees to thrive, we’d love to hear from you!
You’ll be working on:
- Helping to evolve Shopify’s employee experience by conducting, and helping other teams on Talent conduct, exploratory and evaluative research into phenomena, teams, employee-facing programs and employee-facing products
- Articulating research questions and priorities with multiple teams and using a range of research methods to answer those questions
- Synthesizing and summarizing findings using multiple data sources, and communicating these insights to stakeholders in a way that is easily digestible and actionable. You’ll also leverage insights and collaborate closely with various teams to help design, implement and track decisions related to the employee experience.
- Leveraging organizational psychology principles, where needed, in your design of employee feedback mechanisms, qualitative team diagnostic tools (think co-design workshops or 1:1 interviews), and research plans
- Helping to scale the research practice in Talent by building processes, resources, tools and training
- Mentoring fellow EX Researchers and others doing research on Talent, sharing knowledge on a variety of methods, and helping to evolve Talent’s research best practices
- Partnering with our People Analytics team to pair your qualitative research findings with their quantitative people data to drive even greater insights into our employee experience, and help continuously measure progress
Requirements for the role:
- Experience with mixed-methods research. Methods must include observations, in-depth interviewing and survey design. Other methods may include diary studies, usability testing, and co-creation workshops.
- Hands-on experience scoping and prioritizing research questions, research planning, data gathering, analysis, summarizing, and sharing findings
- The ability to identify the best research methods and tools to use depending on project objectives and constraints
- Examples of projects where your research insights led to better informed decisions (e.g. to guide product roadmaps, strategy decisions, program changes)
- The ability to clearly communicate insights and evidence-based recommendations to different audiences
- Strong consulting skills, with ability to build high-trust and influential relationships with employees and leaders at all levels, educating them on the value of doing research
- Exceptional research experience shown in a portfolio of real-world projects. Projects should demonstrate your ability to apply a range of research methods with creativity, scrappiness, and critical thinking, as well as lead a project from start to finish.
- Open to working through ambiguity and embracing change, adept at quick context shifts, and see opportunities where others see challenges; we’re a rapid growth company that moves fast
- Passion and curiosity for cultivating a positive employee experience, and the factors that help employees feel most engaged, connected and impactful
Qualities you likely have to be well suited to this role:
- Education related to organizational or behavioural psychology, sociology or anthropology, and/or experience with service design or design thinking principles
- Familiarity with research on employee experience/workplace culture, or an understanding of how your previous research background can be applied to the problems we’re solving
- Expertise in and practical application of organizational psychology in a real world business context - understanding when and how to leverage different theories from everything from study design to defining key findings across multiple data sources
- Experience with helping to scale a research team and mentor others about research
- Passionate about data ethics and privacy
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Lisa is looking forward to reading your application. Make sure to tell us why you think this is the right role for you!
This posting will close on October 28th at 4:00pm EST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about Shopify by clicking here.