About the role
Shopify is looking for security leaders to help shape the future of trustworthy commerce for us and our 800,000+ merchants.
Shopify builds products for an industry based on trust. We care deeply about preserving the trust our merchants place in us. From product discovery to purchase, we act as a broker of trust between the thousands of merchants who run their business on our platform and their customers, who come from anywhere in the world.
Our Trust team works on ensuring our product and internal systems are secure in a way that’s unobtrusive, scalable, and easy to use by merchants and employees alike. The Trust team’s mission is simple - ensure Shopify is a globally trusted company and platform.
Our ambitions are big, and we need leaders who are ready to dive in and help us grow these disciplines:
• Authentication Services: Ensuring secure authentication by building a unified service, and scaling this service for use across multiple product areas of the Shopify platform.
• Application Security: Securing the operating environment where our applications run by hunting for security bugs, advising on security for new apps, and automating vulnerability detection.
• Infrastructure Security: Ensuring the safety and continued operations of all our production environments, from detection to incident response to hardening of the platform. Our tools include Kubernetes, Terraform and Golang, all running on Google Cloud Platform.
• Internal Security: Building robustness against negative, internal, events while Shopify grows from positive by-products of a strong default to open culture.
• Anti-abuse: Strengthening our platform against abusive behaviour from bad actors through preventing spam from going out of (or coming into) our systems, strengthening email authentication mechanisms, monitoring and dealing with bot activity.
If any of those challenges sound like your cup of tea, we’re curious about your passion for security and what you want to spend your time working on.
We’re looking for leaders with deep technical expertise in their disciplines, experience growing technical teams sustainably, who care about the people they lead, and who approach security with empathy for Shopify's ambitions.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Marina is an actual real live person ( 👋) and is looking forward to learning more about you.
(One final thought: we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in your cover letter - we love a good story.) 👍🏼📖
This posting will close on Friday October 18 at 12pm EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.