Senior Front End Developer - Financial Services
We’re looking for a Senior Front End Developer to help grow our team. Shopify powers hundreds of thousands of merchants around the world. To help them, our team makes our client-side scalable, approachable, and an extraordinary experience. Besides writing great client-side code, we also build new product features and developer-facing tools. We want to take complex concepts and make them approachable for our merchants. We want to help the rest of our R&D organization build great UI. We want to evangelize code quality and amazing user experience. And we want you to help us.
Passion and curiosity go a long way. Even if you aren’t able to check every box below, please still consider applying. We are dedicated to building a diverse team and providing an inclusive workplace for all. We especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
At a very simple level, the Financial Services team is responsible for the movement of money between Shopify, our merchants and their customers. This includes everything from evaluating risk, payment processing, billing and balances. Money transfers can be complicated and even scary for some and the goal of the entire UX team (including front end devs) is to demystify this process, and make all our financial processes simpler and friendlier to use.
In this position, you'll focus on;
- Building Shopify:
- Work on planning, resourcing, and executing projects
- Help your team define their roadmap and how you’ll get there
- Help your team make decisions
- Be a source of knowledge in your product domain
- Give feedback on and help build the product
- Grow your team’s expertise in their craft and in their communication (and your own!)
- Help your team obsess with the problem—are they engaged, resourceful, thinking about impact?
- Supporting and building the front end and UX disciplines:
- Seek opportunities to build Shopify's presence in the UX community
Here are projects this team has been championing lately:
- Risk: How do we evaluate and minimise financial risk for our merchants? What can we do to ensure that orders they receive are genuine and avoid chargebacks from fraudulent transactions?
- Payments: All the payment processing stuff.
- Billings and Balances: Invoicing, transactions, money coming out of merchant accounts and money going into merchant accounts.
- Capital: Shopify Capital helps entrepreneurs get the funds they need to grow their businesses.
Some people you might work with here:
- Kyle Peatt, Director of UX
- Matt Griffin, UX Lead, Financial Services
- Cassie Slack, Designer
- Kathleen Robertson, Designer
- Dominic McPhee, Front End Developer Lead
- Lynsey Thornton, VP of UX
Tools and nitty gritty of the team 🛠 : (Is this stuff new to you? That’s OK! Not everybody is familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.)
- We are modernizing our front end stack to use a component system built with React, TypeScript, SASS, and CSS modules
- Shopify is the world’s largest Ruby on Rails app lication. Our front end developers work closely with back end engineers to build our products
- We build Shopify with a collaborative code review process using Github Flow
Here’s how to apply:
Are you interested in helping us shape the future of front end development at Shopify? Submit your application using the “Apply now” button. Please address your cover letter to Greg Thorpe.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Front End Development jobs are posted.