About the role
Shopify is the world’s fastest-growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down. We’re looking for full-stack developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. You'll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to bring your authentic self to work, and the chance to work with the best in the business.
We at Shopify are on a mission to make Commerce better for everyone. In our pursuit of this mission, we continue to develop new products and services for our merchants and partners. Understanding and managing all these products and services (from a variety of lenses) is a daunting task for our Data Scientists and Data Stakeholders alike. We are seeking a Senior Developer to join our multi disciplinary team (you will be working with Data Scientists, Data Engineers, + UX Designers) to build tooling and front end experiences that make data insights and anomalies across Shopify easy to find, show and investigate.
We are looking for a generalist (or a T-shaped/Full Stack developer) rather than a specialist, excited by problems that require a mix of frontend and backend skills. The languages you will use include: Ruby, Python, React, Typescript and more! We don’t expect you to necessarily know all of these when you apply.
What You'll Need:
- A variety of software development experience - you are proficient with things like software design patterns, code review, multiple languages and paradigms, TDD, etc
- Database experience - you are familiar with things like SQL query authoring, table design patterns for OLAP and OLTP, a variety of databases, and the tradeoffs between them
- Passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships with other teams, across offices, and time zones
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
Some of What You Would Work On:
- Write proficient queries to extract information from a table with billions of rows
- Implement custom UI for data scientists to interact with your app and create new dashboards
- Create cron jobs to email reports to interested stakeholders while respecting user level permissions
- Experience creating tools used to create custom dashboards / visualizations
- Worked with Big Data and through the challenges that it poses
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Not what you’re looking for? Check out these similar roles.
|Senior Analytics Developer, Merchant Data||Data Science and Engineering||Americas|
|Senior Software Developer, Data Platform||Data Science and Engineering||Americas|
|Staff ML Engineer||Data Science and Engineering||Americas|
|Senior Data Scientist (Remote, Americas)||Data Science and Engineering||Americas|
|Data Science Manager, Marketing - Remote (Americas)||Data Science and Engineering||Americas|
|Staff Data Security Developer||Data Science and Engineering||Americas|
|Shopify Referral Program — who do you know?||Data Science and Engineering||Americas|