Senior Industrial Designer
At Shopify, we care deeply about making commerce better for everyone. This mission began when our founders started an online business selling snowboards. Existing software was expensive and so hard to use that it made their dream of entrepreneurship feel impossible. So they changed their focus and started developing Shopify to enable anyone with something to sell to easily start, run, and grow their business.
Today, Shopify empowers more than 377, 500 merchants from all over the world to succeed at entrepreneurship. Our mission is ambitious and we're always looking for great people to join us.
The POS UX team is responsible for creating in-person selling experiences for small businesses around the world. UX is split between mobile app design, user experience research, content strategy, and industrial design. Together with Product and Engineering teams the UX team champions the exploration, validation and design of innovative solutions that solve real problems in today's traditional retail setting.
Within this framework, our industrial designers take ownership over the entire physical product development process. You will collaborate with a variety of experts internally as well as with outside agencies and vendors in order to design and prototype new products and experiences, helping to shape the strategic direction for Shopify hardware.
You'll be working on:
- Helping merchants grow their businesses with better tools for selling in person (e.g. at markets, fairs, bricks and mortar stores)
- Translating user needs, technical realities, and business goals into compelling products that embody great user experiences
- Collaborating closely with product managers, UX, engineers, manufacturers, part and material suppliers to design, manufacture, and release new products
- Working with other designers and researchers to identify and solve complex problems across hardware and software domains
You'll need to have:
- An undergraduate degree in Industrial Design
- 3-5 years minimum of professional experience working as an industrial designer
- Examples of workshops where you led clients and teams through the design process
- Examples of projects where you gathered research data and translated it into a design strategy and design specifications
- Experience using prototyping tools at different levels of fidelity (e.g. low fidelity paper/foam/wood prototypes to high fidelity 3D printed parts)
- Experience using a range of design research methods to evaluate prototypes
- Examples of how you helped teams adopt a Human Centered Design approach
- Advanced knowledge of Solidworks and/or other parametric CAD software
- Proficiency in relevant visualization/rendering software
- Advanced knowledge of CAD to CAM principles and tools
It'd be a bonus if you have:
- Experience designing consumer electronics and complex assemblies
- Examples of ways that you have experimented with and developed new testing methods for hardware
- Skills, hobbies, or experience that have given you a unique perspective on industrial design
- Experience starting your own business
- Graduate degree in Design or equivalent
If you're interested in this position please complete the challenge question and include a link to your portfolio/Dribbble/Behance in the links section. Please make out your cover letter to Sophia!
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying, even if you aren’t able to check every box above. We are dedicated to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace for all and especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Design & UX jobs are posted.