About the role
Shopify Support is a team of over 3000 hard-working and dedicated individuals committed to providing high quality service, business growth advice, platform, and product guidance to our merchants. Our mission is to make commerce better for everyone and bring more Shopify to the World. Supporting our merchants in their business success is what we do everyday. We are responsible for delivering high quality service to more than 1 million merchants in more than 175 different countries. Joining us will allow you to directly impact the success of Shopify, our Merchants, and our Employees in a tangible and immediate way.
The Support Delivery organization will deliver support to our Merchants via a Commercial Regionalization Structure focused on bringing more Shopify to each region. Teams will be responsible for a specific geography, and will have the accountability and autonomy to service the needs of our Merchants, Employees, and Shopify based on Regional requirements developed in partnership with the Managing Director and Global Support Director. This is a deeply integrated Matrix Organization Structure bringing together Global Support principles and Regional Operating Expertise and will be a true partnership.
As a Commercial Regional Lead for Canada you will be responsible for leading all support teams that are dedicated to the region along with a dotted line reporting structure to the Global Support Director. Teams that may be included in your direct reporting structure based on demand for your region are Junior Advisors, Advisors, Team/Support/Senior Leads, Language Care, Retail, Plus, TMS, Themes, Value Lab., and will be a crucial part of the overall leadership landscape within Shopify Support and the Canada leadership Team.
Directly Reporting to the Head of Merchant Experience and dotted line reporting to the Global Support Director you will be primarily responsible for providing strategic senior leadership to large various teams up to 200 people (team size dependent on regional demand), primarily in a ‘lead of leads’ capacity. You will be directly embedded in the Managing Director Structure for your Region. Your team will consist of Advisors, Escalated, Retail, Value, Plus leads, and other supporting members from the Support organization for your region
BUILD: Design, Builds, Adapts and executes departmental business plans and contributes to building the organizational structure for multiple teams
- Design all aspects of what the Canadian regional support team should look like, including technology required to support our needs.
- Direct oversight of all aspects of regional service delivery (while respecting Global design principles and technology - from how we schedule and staff, through to various aspects of service delivery and design.
- Consider a region essentially as a startup where you can help to build out the support organization that dreams are made of.
- Build your Regional Service platform to meet the needs of bringing more Shopify to your Region through various Support teams.
- Experimentation around new methods for delivering regionally designed service
- Codify key learnings on how to successfully launch a regional team for future regions to us.
LEAD: Management and administration of the budget for the regional team. This includes planning, staffing, and annual budgets.
- You will have overall responsibility for the service level for your region, % of overflow, while balancing a budgeted headcount across multiple teams.
- To be responsible for a revenue target (through support cross sell and upsell tactics)
- Work with Global Support and other regions to share best practices, scale up successful experiments, and swap stories.
- Hiring and Coaching your leads on leadership qualities, helping them to 10x their teams performance.
- Responsible for the productivity and performance of the teams in your region.
- Work directly with your peers in the region, including Sales/Account Management/Marketing/Growth and Ecosystem Leaders and teams to drive Merchant Adoption while be supported by Talent/Finance/Legal and Internal Operations
- Work directly with Support Operations, QA, Workforce Planning, Technical Support, Talent, Knowledge Management, Training, Finance and TA to deliver support for your region.
- You will partner directly with the Vendor Operations team to create staffing plans that utilize both our internal teams and our BPO’s.
- Collaborate with key Shopify product and service lines to further design new service offerings to increase Market share in your region
- You're responsible for the success of our 3 key stakeholders, merchants, employees, and Shopify. While this is evolving it could extend to responsibilities for Merchant success measures such as GMV, churn, etc.
- You are a highly experienced leader and seasoned lead of leads and love to be a coach and a manager. You help instil confidence in your leaders and are invested in their growth.
- Support Delivery and Operations Craft Expert
- Builds and challenges functional complex problems and builds new service offerings
- You are comfortable with building teams and service functions and managing teams Globally across multiple verticals of delivery
- Experience with delivering amazing Customer facing services. You understand what our Merchants need to succeed and how we can get there.
- Determination. You are conscientious, resilient, and dedicated to driving results for Merchants, Employees, and Shopify.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills. You play well with others and can influence.
- Creativity and a desire to try new things. You are able to acknowledge failure, learn from it and use it to push you and the team ahead.
- Ability to flex your approach up, down, and sideways. This will be a role where influence and the ability to bring others along for the ride will be key to your success.
- Comfort with ambiguity. With great autonomy comes great ambiguity - you will be helping to forge the future of our organization which will often require you to blaze new trails into the unknown. If you think this is awesome this may be the right role for you
- You have a strong business management background that you can tap into that will help you look at your region as a small business to uncover the opportunities.
- Experience in some or all of the support functions will help you be more successful in jumping right into this role! Prior Workforce Management, Staff planning, Routing and Data knowledge as well as budgeting would be a great start.
- Experience in building new support organizations and supporting large customer facing teams North America
- Initiates, owns, and delivers projects that have an impact on Shopify Support over the long term
Experience comes in many forms. Consider the following to be a list of things that we would love to see, but you shouldn’t hesitate to apply if they don’t sound like you:
- Prior experience building Complex end to end support teams in multiple Geo’s including internal and Vendor teams
- Internally and externally recognized thought leader
- Leading in a Complex Matrixed environment
- Prior experience managing large budgets. Investment planning, staffing, etc.
- Prior service design / UX design leadership
- Marketing and/or sales leadership experience
- Leadership of large Support organizations in the software/ SaaS space
- Experience leading cross-functional and global teams
If you're excited by this opportunity, click on "Apply to this job" and along with your resume, include a cover letter to tell us about your experience at Shopify. Be sure to include why you love being a leader and how you’ve been a leader amongst your peers in your current role. Feel free to add what you’ve learned, how you’ve grown, and what you’d bring to our Support Delivery team as a Regional Lead to help us continue to build and scale for our team, our merchants and for Shopify.
This posting closes at 11:59PM EST on Friday, March 5th.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Not what you’re looking for? Check out these similar roles.
|Bilingual Customer Service Specialist - Fluent in Danish (Remote, Eastern Canada)||Customer Support||Americas|
|Support Advisor (Remote, Western Canada)||Customer Support||Americas|
|Bilingual Customer Service Specialist - Fluent in Swedish (Remote, Eastern Canada)||Customer Support||Americas|
|Bilingual Customer Service Specialist - Fluent in Japanese (Remote, Canada)||Customer Support||Americas|
|Sr. Workforce Planning Manager - Global (Remote, North America)||Customer Support||Americas|
|Sr. Workforce Planning Manager - Scheduling (Remote, North America)||Customer Support||Americas|
|Technical Writer, API/Developer Documentation (Remote, Canada)||Customer Support||Americas|