About the role
At Shopify, we recognize that after our people, our most important asset is our data. With over 10+ years of aggregate ecommerce data, we are driven by the potential insights that our data can provide. Our 800,000+ merchants process over $72 billion in gross merchant volume through our platform, and depend on us to deliver insights that enable them to grow their business. We’re looking for a Senior Manager to lead Data Science for our merchant-facing Insights product - part of Shopify Core. Core is what all of our merchants login to -- it’s the interface of their business(es). It’s also where merchants spend most of their time. Merchants go there to set up their store(s), manage their products, pricing, collections, inventory, orders, and fulfillment, and make decisions based on reports, insights, and recommendations.
Delivering meaningful insights and predictive recommendations that help guide a business owner around product, marketing, logistics, finance and customers decisions is a huge opportunity. Your team’s mandate involves developing and scaling these insights across 800,000+ businesses, countless product types, geographies, and sizes of merchants. Most of those 800k+ businesses are too small to staff a team focused on understanding their data, but you can help all of them to leverage advanced analytics and machine learning to make better decisions and succeed in competitive markets.
You would also be responsible for the machine learning and data backend powering Shopify Home: the news feed and home page of Shopify where merchants see predictive recommendations for all aspects of their business.
This is a full-stack role spanning data science, data engineering and product analytics. The aim is to identify, build and understand the impact of merchant-facing data products and insights that will have a clear and well-understood impact on the success of their businesses.
Some of the Data Science & Engineering team members you’ll work with:
Shopify Core team members you’ll work closely with:
Shopify Core teams are based in the Ottawa and Montreal offices. This role would be based in Ottawa.
Your Key Attributes:
- Team development -- Extensive experience growing well-rounded leaders and scaling teams while instilling process to drive excellence and strong execution. You’ll be leading an 11 person team, including 3 managers, overseeing both data scientists and data engineers.
- Well-balanced skills -- People have trouble pinning you down. Both business and technical teams claim you as their own. You can jump into the code to the level that your team members admire and respect, but are also comfortable discussing ideas with senior executives and collaborating/influencing across disciplines and teams.
- Data Experience at scale -- You’ve worked at multiple tech companies where analytics on top of massive data sets drives better product/business decisions and results in impactful data products. You have experience implementing and assessing productionized machine learning models. You have extensive ETL experience and know how to make complex datasets more reliable and useful.
- Passionate about Commerce -- You’ve experienced and thrived in similar business models and have a passion for solving the types of problems that our merchants face in the e-commerce and retail spaces.
Full-stack skills you’ll need to have:
- 4+ years managing high performance data science teams
- 8+ years delivering business impact through analysis and data products
- Extensive experience with SQL and Python (or similar languages)
- Extensive experience with data pipelines and ETL design
- Experience with statistical methods like regressions, GLMs, experiment design and shipping productionized machine learning systems at scale
- Experience with Tableau, Mode, or similar data visualization tools
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply For This Job” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to John and tell him why you think you'd be great for the role.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Closing date: Sept. 27 at 9am EDT.