Senior Motion Designer
- Toronto, Canada
- Marketing and Growth
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
Shopify’s Core Product Marketing team is seeking a Senior Motion Designer to join our cross-discipline Marketing Creative team of designers, developers, producers, motion and content designers.
Core Product Marketing is focused on crafting and communicating product stories that elevate the breadth and depth of the complete Shopify platform. We are responsible for awareness, and adoption of Shopify's core software products.
About The Role
We’re looking for a user-focused motion designer who is excited to evolve and define how we represent Shopify’s core product and features to merchants, developers, and partners.
The right candidate is a multi disciplinary motion designer, who is comfortable working directly with cross-functional teams to build effective marketing experiences (mainly digital and web) for future and current Shopify partners and merchants.
- Solve complex problems with simple motion design solutions and translate them into effective and cohesive suites of assets that can be leveraged across multiple surfaces and channels.
- Evolve the user experience, optimizing the effectiveness, and improving the customer journey of our digital marketing properties, campaigns and activations.
- Apply strategic thinking to visualize ideas and concepts and communicate them effectively and compellingly.
- Passionate, positive, creative self-starter, who can produce quality creative packages end-to-end in a collaborative team environment, with minimal direct oversight.
- Continuously look for new ways to evolve our craft and process.
- You’ll be an active mentor for motion designers, helping lead critiques and reviews.
- Using facilitative leadership skills to manage and drive to the best outcome for stakeholders, partners, and customers.
- Can navigate ambiguity in order to move a project, our team vision and company mission forward.
- Lead motion design projects of significant scope, complexity and responsibility in creative vision, strategy and execution.
- Working with cross-functional teams (developers, product, marketers, researchers, production, content designers and designers) to drive motion design vision and strategy that meets the needs of our users.
- Work closely with our marketing and product counterparts to shape marketing initiatives, grow the number of customers using Shopify, and the reach of Shopify the brand.
- Building positive, collaborative relationships with product management, development, marketing, and the broader UX team, as well as continuously "raising the bar" as an effective leader of positive change.
- Passion for animation to simplify complex interactions and solve challenging motion problems.
- Experience using motion as a narrative effect and to understand the future of interactive motion design.
- Deep understanding of principles of animation such as timing, spacing, rhythm, ease.
- Ability to focus on detailed aspects of motion and experience, often related to physics, patterns, and visual design elements.
- Experience in UX fundamentals, principles, heuristics, and best practices including, research, prototyping, and validation.
- Enthusiasm for character design and animation is a plus.
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; you have the ability to help your team and stakeholders understand the “why” behind your rationale.
- You understand that leadership is a craft, and know how to mentor team members to help them grow.
- Deep experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes.
- Working closely with the PMM and Product Manager on your projects to balance technical, business, and user requirements.
- An understanding that great experiences come from collaborative decision-making with marketers, developers, researchers, content, production and other disciplines.
- Adjust quickly to shifting approaches, situations, and priorities.
- Passion for unpacking and solving complex problems.
- A scrappy, resourceful approach to projects - you’re proactive and great at self assigning tasks.
- You believe details matter as much as efficiency.
- Empathy for the user and about building for everyone - this includes, but is not limited to, accessibility, internationalization and localization, browser and device support.
- Advance experience in Adobe, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, Lottie, Figma and/or Sketch, plus any other video software programs
- Knowledge of 3D software like cinema 4D.
- Knowledge and familiarity with a data informed approach to design. You’ve used tools and resources needed to measure success of design decisions (A/B testing tools, Google Analytics, etc.).
NOTE: Only applicants who submit a portfolio of motion design work alongside application will be considered.
This job posting will be unpublished on Mar 24, 2023 after which date we will start reviewing applications
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2020 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering