Senior Partner Marketing Manager, Japan
- Marketing and Growth
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Partner Marketing Manager to join our Japan team to help us build and scale the growth engine that enables our partners to bring more Shopify to the world. You’ll bring this goal to life by planning, executing, and optimizing scalable partner co-marketing initiatives including integrated marketing campaigns, digital activations, virtual, field events and content.
This role requires that you’re an excellent marketer, able to identify and focus on priority initiatives.The ideal candidate has a track record of building and managing marketing campaigns across channels, being lazer focus on driving impactful commercial outcomes for the Japan Market.You are someone who enjoys and thrives working cross functionally, managing multiple stakeholders towards a common goal. If you are a seasoned marketer that understands how we can deepen our relationship with our agency partners to ignite performance, this role might be for you!
You’ll get to do:
- Develop innovative ways to go-to-market with Japan partners, owning end-to-end execution, and ensuring cohesion across programs/campaigns to generate leads
- Manage a portfolio of partners, provide coaching support to improve marketing capabilities, and routinely assess partner performance
- Distill quantitative and qualitative data into audience and market insights that informs strategy, messaging and go-to-market
- Manage a budget and tracking systems to assess the effectiveness of your marketing programs and campaigns
- Answer partner marketing requests, quantifying and qualifying new opportunities
- Work collaborative with Global counterparts to roll out scaled program initiatives
- Work cross functionally with regional Partnerships, Sales, Product and Product Marketing teams to drive shared commercial objectives
- Produce and deliver presentations to internal and partner audiences
You’ll need to have:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in B2B marketing, preferably with partner, channel or e-commerce ecosystems
- Experience producing successful demand generation and integrated marketing campaigns to reach commercial targets
- Experience managing multiple stakeholders with different opinions to a common outcome
- Exceptional influencing and negotiation skills
- Fluency in both spoken and written English
- Experience running and coordinating IRL events
- Excellent communication and organizational skills while being able to stay focused on the big picture and pay attention to details
- Proven ability to lead and execute on projects that involve alignment and collaboration across disciplines and crafts
- Experience informing and influencing commercial business, and product marketing strategy
- A resourceful attitude that can proactively seek out information to influence action
- Ability to thrive in uncertainty, resolve ambiguity and think quickly on your feet
- Experience working with a global company and are excellent at executing across time zones and cultures
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering