Senior Partnerships Manager - Agency, Japan
- Sales and Account Management
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
Shopify Plus has a unique opportunity to disrupt the enterprise commerce space and agencies today are already proving this to be possible. As a Partner Manager, you will be critical to supporting our agency partners — they are an integral part of the Shopify Plus Partner Program. You will be responsible for managing and developing partner relationships throughout Japan.
This is a remote position available within Japan. Japanese language proficiency required.
Projects you’ll work on:
Creating and executing business plans to develop the region
Researching agencies and solutions providers in Japan for prospective partners
Being able to understand and communicate the competitive strengths of each assigned partner
Recruiting and educating prospective partners
Assisting with training and onboarding new partners and new employees of each partner
Managing a pipeline of partner sales opportunities and working alongside the Plus sales team in Japan
Creating a joint value proposition for each partner and identifying who the relevant audience is
Working with marketing to identify opportunities for campaigns, co-marketing, case studies and events that increase partner pipeline
Proposing potential business deals by discovering and exploring opportunities with existing partners
Speaking and attending events to evangelize Shopify Plus to prospective partners and merchants
Understanding the multiple merchant types in Japan and influencing our product direction to best serve partners and merchants in the region
Requirements for the role:
You excel at establishing and growing mutually beneficial business relationships
You’re curious and know how to research a business
You're keen to help people keep their promises and aren't afraid to enforce the rules
You have at least 4 years experience in enterprise ecommerce or partnerships
You have great business development skills
You have the ability to work under pressure
You understand the inner workings of a digital agency
You can work well as part of a team and as an individual contributor
You have excellent written and oral communication skills in Japanese and English
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering