About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce by raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products and services. To help power 1,000,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries, Shopify is always growing and finding new ways to create more value for commerce businesses around the world.
Products are at the core of each of those businesses, and finding the right ones to sell is one of the main challenges for aspiring entrepreneurs and established curators. The Product Sourcing team is building tools to help with that.
We’re looking for a UX-focused content strategist to plan and create interface content for the Product Sourcing team, and to help establish content strategy as a discipline in the Berlin office. You’ll also have the opportunity to contribute to our overall UX team's skills and growth.
Senior Product Content Strategists at Shopify collaborate with designers, developers, researchers, and product managers to design and build our user interfaces. We’re a close-knit team of more than 40 content strategists who work across the company to create clear, concise content that makes our products work better.
This position requires a deep understanding of the role language plays in the UX design process. This isn’t a marketing or social media role.
You'll be working on things like:
- Building the Shopify admin and tools alongside designers, researchers, and front end developers.
- Collaborating closely with other content strategists. Reviewing and critiquing your teammates’ content to help them grow.
- Actively contributing to developing new features, and continuously improving what we have today.
- Evolving editorial and voice and tone standards in your area and across our products.
- Using qualitative and quantitative research to inform your content decisions.
- Defining and implementing information architecture and navigation systems across complex products.
- Empowering everyone at Shopify to write their own great content by contributing to training, learning resources, and other support opportunities.
You should have:
- Content strategy experience, preferably in a product-focused environment.
- Background working with cross-functional teams including UX designers, researchers, and engineers.
- Experience writing and structuring language to respond to audience needs.
- A portfolio of work you've done. Bonus if it includes interface content or microcopy.
- Demonstrated ability to create, implement, and maintain content standards across an organization.
- A foundational understanding of user-centered design techniques and how to apply them.
- Empathy and advocacy for merchants and their buyers, in all areas of our work.
What’s in it for you:
- A chance to establish the content strategy discipline in our Berlin office.
- A collaborative, creative environment where we value experimentation and learning.
- Autonomy. We don’t believe in micro-management.
- A healthy work-life balance with benefits such as parental leave, childcare benefits, flexible work hours, and catered meals to give you more time for the things you care about most.
- Being part of a UX team that’s tackling design challenges on a global scale—we’re genuinely committed to making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their experience level.
- Learning and growing with the best in the business and getting the support you need to do the best work of your career.
- Building strong relationships with your teammates in a culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work (...we've been through this interview process after all 😏) and we truly value your time. Luke is looking forward to reading your application. If your CV stands for itself, that's great, but we always love to find out more about people, so feel free to include a cover letter.
Closing date: Friday, January 17th at 5pm GMT.