About the role
Shopify is redefining commerce and raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products. On this mission, we partner with thousands of agencies and freelancers who build apps, customize stores, and provide help to 800,000+ of our merchants.
On the Platform UX team, we work on products that empower our partners to push the boundaries of commerce. Informed by research and data, we solve complex problems and build iteratively toward our vision. We quickly prototype solutions and ship high-fidelity designs of new features. We own our projects from start to finish within a multidisciplinary team of developers, product managers, content strategists, designers, user researchers, and marketers to deliver the best possible experience for both our partners and merchants.
We're looking for an experienced content strategist who loves working on thorny, complex platform problems. This position requires being able to model and describe complex parts of our developer ecosystem in the simplest possible terms, as well as co-designing the developer experience on our platform. You'll need to deeply understand developers’ needs, and you'll work with a cross-functional team of researchers, developers and product designers to simplify the tools we create for them.
This is not a technical writing or marketing role — you'll be working directly in our platform product, creating new tools and helping our platform grow.
About UX at Shopify
The UX team at Shopify is obsessed with enabling commerce at a global scale. Over 450 UXers across 5 offices are responsible for creating tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, we offer opportunities for developers to contribute their own products to our app ecosystem. Making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their level of experience, is our passion. It’s what we come to work every morning excited to tackle.
Our vision of UX is a broad one that includes designers, content strategists, researchers, and front-end developers (we call them UX developers). Although everyone who works at Shopify is responsible for building great experiences, the UX team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
For this role, you’ll be working on things like:
- Co-designing our developer-facing products that enable Shopify partners and internal developers building on our platform
- Building a clear, concise experience for developers that want to build for the Shopify platform, and push the boundaries of how we design for those users
- Creating content for UX interfaces that make our product feel simpler, more intuitive and easy to use for developers of all levels of experience
- Becoming a subject matter expert on the developer experience, and be able to contextualize, in simple terms, that experience for those unfamiliar with it
- Creating great content standards, including voice & tone and design patterns, for our developer interfaces and platform products
- Working with UX research to validate those standards, and ensure they’re understood across Shopify.
Have the technical ability to:
- Be conversant in the language and needs of developers, including the vocabulary and tools — from APIs to coding languages to front-end development tools — that they use
- Be comfortable working with tools like Git and Figma / Sketch
- Be reasonably comfortable getting into the code to implement your recommendations by using a code editor.
Requirements for the role:
- Dedicated content experience in a product-focused environment
- Developed content standards from scratch, validated them, and applied them across a complex product or system
- An understanding of how to scale your work by communicating those content standards across an organization
- Worked with cross-functional teams including UX designers, researchers, and developers
- Developed a clear point of view on the role of content strategy within user-centered design processes
- Worked in a UX role where you’ve had to create content for web or product interfaces, and structured language around the needs of a specific audience
- Examples of UX work you've created or contributed to, from interface content to microcopy to apps. If you have examples of system models or taxonomy work, we’d love to see those too
What’s in it for you:
- A collaborative, creative environment where we value experimentation and learning.
- Autonomy. We don’t believe in micro-management
- A healthy work-life balance with benefits such as parental leave, childcare benefits, flexible work hours, and catered meals to give you more time for the things you care about most
- Being part of a UX team that’s tackling design challenges on a global scale—we’re genuinely committed to making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their experience level
- Opportunities to communicate the value of your work to people outside content strategy through our UX blog and through speaking opportunities internally and externally
- Learning and growing with the best in the business and getting the support you need to do the best work of your career
- A culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity.
How to apply:
- Prepare a few samples of your previous work. We also suggest signing up for a Shopify partner account and getting to know the partner experience. You might want to try building something simple yourself, or have some ideas for how to improve the experience. Share your ideas with us so we can take a look.
- Write a cover letter that tells us a bit about yourself and why you’re interested in working at Shopify. Please address it to Owen Williams.
- Upload your resume, cover letter, and work samples. If you have an online portfolio, feel free to link to it.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work (...we've been through this interview process after all 😏) and we truly value your time.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Closing date: Monday, November 11th at 9am EDT.