About the role
At Shopify, we care deeply about making commerce better for everyone. This mission began when our founders started an online business selling snowboards. Existing software was expensive and so hard to use that it made their dream of entrepreneurship feel impossible. So, they changed their focus and started developing Shopify to enable anyone with something to sell to easily start, run, and grow their business.
Today, Shopify empowers more than 800,000+ merchants from all over the world to succeed at entrepreneurship. Our mission is ambitious and we're looking for great people to join us. You'll join Shopify’s growing UX team of 450+ Designers, Content Strategists, UX Researchers, and UX Developers, who play a key role in building understanding and empathy for merchants.
About the role:
As a Senior Product Designer, you will be responsible for end-to-end UX projects within the Shopify Home team under our Core Foundations group. Core teams are focused on building the Foundations of everything Shopify does to make both the platform and other teams at Shopify work better, faster, stronger. The Home team is responsible for the first interface a merchant sees when they log into our software.
This is a multifaceted role, where you’ll be responsible not only for product design (including sketching, wire-framing, low and high fidelity prototyping) but also contributing to the product vision and roadmap, working on synthesizing and summarizing findings across multiple data sources, helping and working closely with content strategist on content tasks (the product you’ll be working on is all about communication), and stewarding product and UX conversation with senior leadership.
What you'll be working on:
- Owning projects from start to finish while leading various UX initiatives including planning, content mapping, sketching, wire-framing, low and high fidelity prototyping and leading stakeholder reviews
- Collaborating with a multidisciplinary team of designers, content strategists, UX researchers, developers, and product managers to explore, prototype, test, and ship the best possible experience for our merchants
- Working with our data scientists and UX Researchers to identify optimal methodology and tooling based on project objectives and constraints
- Being data-driven; synthesizing and summarizing findings to inform product and UX decisions
- Mentoring others across various UX disciplines, levelling up the team and helping evolve our tools and best practices to continually grow and improve the discipline.
- Collaborating with content strategists, defining and evolving editorial, voice and tone, standards across our product.
- Identifying, championing and developing opportunities for new product functionalities to continuously improve future iterations of the product.
- Sharing and reviewing designs based on peer feedback, user research, testing, and merchant feedback
Requirements for the role:
- Passion for solving product problems while balancing all facets of UX (strategy and research, information architecture, interaction design, data analysis, content modelling, and high fidelity visuals)
- Experience collaborating closely with product, engineering, content, and research
- Ability to provide high-level design strategy and visionEmploy a user-centered design process to support the overall business strategy
- Seek out and leverage the insights from our research and analytics teams to inform your designs
- Experience with organizing large amounts of information to ensure it’s easy to understand, find, and interpret on any device
- Experience working closely with content strategy, information architecture, and/or editorial processes
- Ability to clearly communicate insights and provide recommendations to various stakeholders including, but not limited to, senior leadership
- Experience working in a fast-paced experimental or start-up environment collaborating with remote team members
- Proficiency with current industry design and collaboration tools such as Sketch, Figma, Invision, Adobe Creative Suite, Github
- Ability to step away from technology for sketching ideas and lo-fi prototypes
- Staying on top of emerging UI standards and trends.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Holly is looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
This posting will close on July 28th at 9 am EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior Product Content Strategist||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|Product Designer - Insights||UX and Design||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Product Content Strategist||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|Research Ops Project Manager||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Product Designer - Financial Solutions||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|UX Designer - Support||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|