Senior Product Designer
We’re looking for an experienced senior designer to deliver high quality product experiences. You’ll own your projects from start to finish, and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of designers, content strategists, user researchers, developers, and product managers to deliver the best possible experience for our merchants.
At Shopify, we care deeply about making commerce better for everyone.
This mission began when our founders started an online business selling snowboards. Existing software was expensive and so hard to use that it made their dream of entrepreneurship feel impossible. So they changed their focus and started developing Shopify to help anyone with something to sell easily start, run, and grow their business.
Today, Shopify empowers more than 500,000 merchants from all over the world to succeed at entrepreneurship. Our mission is ambitious and we're always looking for great people to join us.
About UX design at Shopify
The UX design team at Shopify is obsessed with enabling commerce at a global scale. We create tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, we design solutions that help some of the world’s leading businesses manage enormous complexity. Making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their level of experience, is our passion. It’s what we come to work every morning excited to tackle.
Our team is made up of over 150 designers, content strategists, researchers, and front-end developers across 5 offices. Although everyone who works at Shopify is responsible for building great experiences, the design team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.
We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
- Apply your extensive experience with product design systems and principles to create new Shopify features
- Define, explore, and solve complex merchant problems
- Build a vision for your product area and help your team work iteratively towards achieving it
- Develop industry-leading domain expertise in your product’s problem area – shipping, inventory management, data visualization, etc.
- Ship valuable, high quality work without sacrificing speed
- Work with industry-standard tools and software like Sketch, Invision, and good ol’ pen and paper to define your work at low and high fidelity
- Help your teammates build context and strong decision-making skills
- Continuously broaden your knowledge in other UX disciplines.
- Contribute to and shape UX team culture
You’ll be working on:
- Shipping high fidelity designs of new features and quickly prototyping solutions to visual and interaction problems
- Representing our merchants in product strategy and roadmap discussions
- Advocating for good user experience across our teams and our platform
- Contributing to our growing design system in an effort to cultivate a coherent look and feel across the entire Shopify platform
- Sharing and revising your designs based on UX research, merchant interviews and peer feedback
You’ll need to have:
- A deep understanding of the end to end iterative UX product design process, including how to develop and use personas, job stories, journey mapping, content modelling, wireframing and prototyping, user testing, and high fidelity visuals
- Proficiency with current design tools including Sketch, Photoshop, etc.
- Passion for solving core product problems while owning all facets of a user experience (strategy, IA, art direction, interaction design and research)
- Experience collaborating with multiple disciplines including product, engineering, content, research, and more
- A deep empathy for the user
- UI abilities shown in a portfolio of live projects
Here’s how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the Apply now button to submit your application. Send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Design & UX jobs are posted.