About the role
As a Senior Designer at Shopify, you will work on a product that impacts users at a global scale. Within the data team, the opportunity is to focus on internal users who are helping drive data informed decisions with implications for hundreds of thousands of merchants and their users. This is a chance to learn about the data tooling landscape and how they help product make better decisions. We are a friendly, collaborative team, willing to learn and be constantly improving. Our Designers identify problems, perform research, prototype solutions, and ship features, sometimes all in the same week.
Specifically you will be helping Shopify's Data team to focus on building and managing datasets with increasing levels of refinement and producing insights in the form of data products, reports and dashboards that inform product decisions. The problem space of the data tooling ranges from governance and quality management to lineage and discoverability.
What you'll be doing:
- Solving core product problems while owning all facets of user experience (strategy, IA, art direction, interaction design, and research) for the data tooling at Shopify
- Creating elegant solutions for our users needs. Working with Data will mean learning a new language of data tooling, semantics and delving into how Data Scientists think and operate
- Prototyping, testing, and shipping design solutions to solve complex problems
- Identifying the best UX methods and tools to use depending on project constraints
- Advocating and bringing awareness to the distinction between UX and UIs. Documenting and developing strategies around aspects of the user experience that aren’t modelled in web-based user interfaces
- Contributing to our growing design system of patterns in an effort to cultivate a cohesive look, feel, and user experience across the entire Shopify platform
- Sharing and reviewing your designs based on peer feedback, user research, testing, and merchant feedback
What we are looking for:
- Previous experience owning and executing on UX designs through collaborative decision making with product managers, front-end developers, engineers, researchers, and other disciplines
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative UX process, including personas, scenarios, wireframing, content modelling, prototyping, user research, and design systems
- Empathy and advocacy for data users, in all areas of the work
- Experience using prototyping tools, as well as fundamental knowledge of front-end technologies to understand the constraints of design
- Extraordinary UI design abilities that can be demonstrated through current projects
- You’ve worked and collaborated with remote team members
What’s in it for you
- A collaborative, creative environment where we value experimentation and learning
- Autonomy. We don’t believe in micro-management
- A healthy work-life balance with benefits that support your full self e.g. flexible work hours, parental leave, perks to support your lifestyle (think cleaning services, athletic equipment) and catered meals to give you more time for the things you care about most
- Learning and growing with the best in the business and getting the support you need to do the best work of your career
- Building strong relationships with your teammates in a culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Holly is looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
This posting will close on Monday, September 2nd at 9am EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior Product Designer - Inventory||UX and Design||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Senior UX Designer - Support||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Product Designer - Insights||UX and Design||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Product Content Strategist||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|Product Designer - Partner Platform||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Product Content Strategist||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Product Designer - Financial Solutions||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|