About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce by raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products and services. To help power 1,000,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries, Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe. Shopify merchants use insights and analytics to understand how their businesses are performing. Making sense of all the available data is one of their biggest challenges. The Insights team is responsible for building data models, metrics, dashboards, and interactive reports that are delivered to merchants in a timely manner, so they can make smarter data-informed business decisions. Our team’s mission is to build the best place for merchants to access, understand, and discover insights and analytics that are most relevant to their businesses.
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer who is passionate about data and analytics. You’ll be collaborating with product managers, UX researchers, engineers, data scientists, content strategists, and other product designers to solve high impact analytics problems like:
• Making Shopify the complete and most trusted source of information for our merchants
• Making complex business-related data approachable and helping our merchants uncover hidden business opportunities through insights, dashboards, and reports
- Design accessible, responsive, performant experiences and educate others on the best practices of building analytics products
- Contribute to and evolve analytics styling conventions, guidelines, and best practices that have a wide reach with a deep understanding of the impact your work will have on products and teams at Shopify
- Design analytics components and systems that scale now and into the future
- Help define and prioritize data-informed initiatives while working cross-functionally, and managing complex stakeholder relationships
- Collaborate and communicate with designers, developers, marketers, data scientists, and researchers in an Agile environment
- Deeply understand and work with the data platform that powers Shopify Analytics
- Create beautiful products for the responsive web and mobile native app by finding the right problems to solve, advocating for user needs, prototyping solutions, and shipping features
- Mentor other designers, leading by example with your keen eye for good design and attention to detail
- Level up our UX team, share knowledge, and help evolve our tools and best practices
- Working on end-to-end iterative products, with awareness of common practices such as user research techniques, job stories, agile framework, content modelling, prototyping, and user testing
- Building analytics products such as dashboards, metrics, and experiences that power the domain of business intelligence shown in a portfolio of real-world projects
- Developing animation assets and colour palettes with a deep understanding of the role of accessibility in data visualization
- Collaborating and communicating with designers, developers, marketers, data scientists, and researchers in an Agile environment
- Identifying the best UX direction, methods, and tools to use depending on project constraints and available data
- Working with the end-to-end iterative design process, including how to develop and use job stories, journey mapping, content modelling, wireframing and prototyping, usability testing, and low fidelity to high fidelity visuals
- Clearly presenting your point of view, expressing ideas, and accepting feedback
- Using current design and prototyping tools such as Figma, Sketch, Adobe Suite, etc.
- Working with data visualization libraries (e.g. D3, Highcharts)
Learn more about our UX team on the Shopify UX blog.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application! If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
Closing date: Monday, July 20 at 9am EDT
You can expect to hear back from us (regardless of outcome) by Monday, July 27th at 5pm EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.