About the role
Shopify’s International Growth team’s mission is to make commerce better for everyone... everywhere! Making Shopify better for merchants around the world brings deeply interesting UX challenges across behaviours, language, currency & trade, and ultimately, culture. We’re on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly and collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
About this role:
As a Senior Product Designer at Shopify Japan, you will have a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants in APAC. You will help us build real connections with merchants, and bring these insights into product teams across Shopify globally. You will work with a multidisciplinary UX team of product designers, content strategists, user researchers, and front-end developers to deliver the best possible experience for our merchants around the world.
You’ll need to have:
- Experience designing and shipping product experiences for international audiences, with a focus on Japan.
- Previous experience owning and executing on UX designs through collaborative decision making with product managers, front-end developers, engineers, researchers, and other disciplines.
- A passion for building tailored experiences across a diverse set of languages and cultures.
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative UX process, including personas, scenarios, wireframing, content modelling, prototyping, user research, and design systems.
- A love for solving complex product problems with simple design solutions.
- Experience working and collaborating with remote team members.
- Extraordinary UI design abilities that can be demonstrated through current projects.
Projects you will work on:
- Ensuring our platform considers regional merchant needs across language, culture, and local commerce behaviours.
- Working with other teams at Shopify to build a deep understanding and consideration of merchant needs around the world.
- Evolving the look and feel of Shopify to be relevant in priority markets as we scale; with the discipline to think locally and act globally.
- Advocating for good user experience across our platform by representing our merchants in product strategy and roadmap discussions.
- Contributing to our growing design system of patterns in an effort to cultivate a cohesive look, feel, and user experience across the entire Shopify platform.
- Sharing and reviewing your designs based on peer feedback, user research, testing, and merchant feedback.
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, Dribble, Behance, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your background is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying, even if you aren’t able to check every box above.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. This posting will close on Wednesday 19 August at 9am GMT+8
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Not what you’re looking for? Check out these similar roles.
|Senior Developer, International Growth (Remote, Japan)||Engineering and Development||Asia, Japan|
|Sr UX Researcher (Remote, Japan)シニア・ユーザー・リサーチャー（日本）||UX and Design||Asia, Japan|
|Merchant Success Manager, Shopify Plus (Remote, Japan)||Sales and Account Management||Asia, Japan|
|Support Advisor - サポート アドバイザー||Customer Support||Asia, Japan|