About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products and services on and offline. With 800,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries, and the most innovative platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while constantly looking for new ways to impact and disrupt markets.
The UX team creates tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, they design solutions that help some of the world’s leading businesses manage enormous complexity. The team is made up of over 400 designers, content strategists, researchers, and UX developers. Although everyone at Shopify is responsible for building great experiences, the UX team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow. Making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their level of experience, is their passion. It’s what they come to work every morning excited to tackle.
As a Product Designer on the Inventory team, you have a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants around the world. Inventory is a key part of our Logistics product line, responsible for all the "back office" operations that merchants deal with on a daily basis, like managing inventory and fulfilling orders. This is the heart of what our merchants do every single day, so making them more efficient and effective makes a big difference in how they run their businesses.
We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
As a Senior Product Designer at Shopify, you will:
- Improve the merchant experience. This includes participating in and running design sprints to define and explore merchant problems. You’ll help your team develop empathy for our merchants and advocate for our merchants’ needs. Data will be just one of the many tools you will use to help inform your work.
- Collaborate with different disciplines. You’ll work closely with engineers, product managers, researchers, and front-end developers to explore, build, and ship your designs. You’ll help other disciplines understand the value design can bring to a project and ultimately build and ship the best products.
- Make your team stronger. You’ll provide feedback to your peers to help strengthen your team and Shopify as a whole. You’ll help your teammates build context, strong decision making skills, and empathy for our merchants.
- Ship valuable and high-quality work without sacrificing speed.
Requirements for the role:
- Passion for solving product problems while balancing all facets of a user experience (strategy and research, information architecture, interaction design) and collaborating closely with multiple disciplines including product, engineering, content, and research.
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative design process including how to develop and use design research, job stories, journey mapping, content modelling, wire-framing, prototyping, user testing, and high-fidelity visuals to achieve human-centred design solutions.
- A deep empathy for the user, and tools to help others develop this empathy as well.
- Proficiency with current industry design and collaboration tools such as Figma, Sketch, Github, etc.
Some of the Shopifolk you’ll be working with:
- Farai Madzima, UX Manager - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om6vhrxKtDk
- Biz Sanford, Staff Content Strategist - https://ux.shopify.com/words-and-the-design-process-f41472a249fb
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Holly is looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
This posting will close on Monday, September 2nd at 9am EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior Product Content Strategist||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|Product Content Strategist||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|Product Designer - Partner Platform||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Product Designer - Data||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Product Designer - Financial Solutions||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Product Designer - Insights||UX and Design||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Senior UX Designer - Support||UX and Design||Ottawa, Canada|