About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how companies of all sizes sell their products and services on and offline. With 800,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries, and the most innovative platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while constantly looking for new ways to impact and disrupt markets.
The UX team creates tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, they design solutions that help some of the world’s leading businesses manage enormous complexity. Our team is made up of over 400 designers, content strategists, researchers, and front-end developers. Although everyone at Shopify is responsible for building great experiences, the design team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow. Making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their level of experience, is their passion. It’s what they come to work every morning excited to tackle.
As a Senior Product Designer on the Taxes team, you will help Shopify's 800,000+ merchants manage one of the more complicated parts of their business. Sales tax is something that merchants and their customers encounter daily, and it is becoming more and more complex as the global economy increases. This is an opportunity to solve challenging problems that impact real people as they grow and maintain their businesses. In this role, you will work collaboratively and build iteratively with a multidisciplinary team of developers, product managers, content strategists, user researchers, and marketers. You’ll deliver world class experiences that make potentially confusing business tasks intuitive and manageable, and empower entrepreneurs world-wide to achieve independence.
As a Senior Product Designer at Shopify, you will:
- Improve the merchant experience. This includes participating in and running design sprints to define and explore merchant problems. You’ll partner with UX Researchers to help your team develop empathy for our merchants and advocate for their needs. Data will be just one of the many tools you will use to help inform your work.
- Collaborate with different disciplines. You’ll work closely with engineers, product managers, researchers, and front-end developers to explore, build, and ship your designs. You’ll help other disciplines understand the value design can bring to a project and ultimately build and ship the best products.
- Make your team stronger. You’ll provide feedback to your peers to help strengthen your team and Shopify as a whole. You’ll help your teammates build context, strong decision making skills, and empathy for our merchants.
- Ship valuable and high-quality work without sacrificing speed.
Requirements for the role:
- Passion for solving product problems while balancing all facets of a user experience (strategy and research, information architecture, interaction design) and collaborating closely with multiple disciplines including product, engineering, content, and research.
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative design process including how to develop and use design research, job stories, journey mapping, content modelling, wire-framing, prototyping, user testing, and high-fidelity visuals to achieve human-centred design solutions
- A deep empathy for the user, and tools to help others develop this empathy as well
- Proficiency with current industry design and collaboration tools such as Figma, Sketch, Github, etc.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Holly is looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce around the world, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
This posting will close on Monday, September 23rd at 9am EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.