About the role
The mission of the Commerce Algorithms team, part of Commerce Intelligence, is to enable merchants, buyers and partners to leverage Shopify’s network-effect through algorithm driven products. This is a highly strategic investment area for Shopify, and the products and primitives built by this team will power both Shopify merchant and buyer-facing applications.
What will you do?
- Define long-term product strategy for Commerce Algorithms and identify new problems and opportunities where algorithms/machine learning (ML) can be leveraged in products.
- Work closely with senior R&D counterparts (e.g. director of data and engineering, senior UX manager) to build and scale the team.
- Lean on your leadership and collaboration skills as you work closely with senior leadership and peers across multiple different product areas.
- Define success metrics for your product area, and drive alignment for all product efforts to those measures.
- Motivate and influence senior leadership, key stakeholders, drive buy-in for your ideas, and tell exceptional stories around why and what we should build.
- Lead a team of product managers to execute with a high-performing (and growing) team of senior/staff level engineers, data scientists, UX, product marketers, legal and partner managers to create compelling technical patterns, design systems, and shared features.
- Grow the PM team by hiring world-class product managers.
- You are expected to not only develop your team, but also further the craft of product management at Shopify. Taking a player-coach role, you’ll support your team, hire and grow, and get your hands dirty in the craft of product management.
What do you bring?
- A proven history of success in product management roles. You are a Senior Manager or Director level product manager currently owning a large scope of consumer-facing data or ML products.
- Experience owning and setting the overall long-term strategic vision of the product area.
- Deep domain knowledge of building consumer-facing data and ML products and are on top of the latest trends in the space.
- A track record of shipping highly complex and impactful data and ML products (e.g. search, recommendations, or ad targeting engines).
- Experience working closely with senior engineers and data scientists (both leaders and ICs) to ship products and grow R&D teams.
- Experience managing and growing senior-level product managers. You’ve been responsible for performance management, have navigated tough conversations with direct reports, and you feel comfortable supporting Product Managers to achieve their career goals.
- An entrepreneurial mindset. You must be comfortable rolling up your sleeves, thriving in ambiguity, and getting the work done.
- A love of storytelling.
- A genuine excitement for solving user problems and a strong sense of empathy for our merchants and their buyers.
Nice to have:
- Technical background or experience. Previous experience in software engineering, development, or data science and/or a degree in a technical field.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is Digital by Design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations across North America where Shopify is hiring. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
Not what you’re looking for?Check out these similar roles.
|Senior Technical Product Manager (Remote)||Product Management||Americas|
|Product Lead, Shopify Markets (Remote)||Product Management||Americas|
|Product Lead/Senior Product Lead, Multiple Teams (Remote)||Product Management||Americas|
|Senior Product Manager, Multiple Teams (Remote)||Product Management||Americas|