About the role
We’re looking for an experienced back end developer to join the Exchange team. Exchange is a newly launched marketplace for buying and selling businesses and we’re in a unique position for a marketplace: we already have strong demand AND supply. This has allowed us to find product-market fit, making Exchange one of the fastest growing products at Shopify.
Our long term goal is to be THE global marketplace for entrepreneurs to buy and sell businesses and business-related assets.
About the team:
We ship, test, and iterate quickly. The environment is fast-paced, but we value taking the time to learn from our mistakes as much as our successes. Our team owns the entire problem and solution, and operates as a startup within Shopify. Everyone has the opportunity to give suggestions and make their voice heard.
- An entrepreneurial mindset and/or startup experience.
- Great ability to manage your time, prioritize tasks, and take ownership of your work.
- Extensive experience with a web development framework. Ruby on Rails is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with relational databases.
- Experience with background job processing.
- Experience integrating with 3rd party APIs.
You'll work on:
- Building core features of the marketplace such as secure payments and recommendation engines.
- Integrating with 3rd party APIs used by websites for sale, such as Facebook, Google, and Stripe.
- Scaling the architecture to handle millions of users.
- Writing well-tested, beautiful, and efficient code in Ruby that leaves the code base better than you found it.
- Defining goals with the product lead, collaborating with front end and back end developers, and shipping awesome features.
Passion and curiosity go a long way. Even if you aren’t able to check every box above, please still consider applying. Diverse perspectives and experience levels are required to create the best tools and solutions. We're dedicated to building a team with diversity of thought and providing an inclusive workplace for all.
|Lead Software Engineer||Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Lead Software Developer||Engineering||Montreal, Canada|
|Lead Software Engineer - Security||Engineering||Toronto, Canada|
|Lead iOS Developer||Engineering||Toronto, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Kafka Infrastructure Engineer||Production Engineering||Waterloo, Canada|
|Engineering Lead - App & Partner Platform||Engineering||Toronto, Canada|
|Director of Production Security||Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Front End Developer, Shopify Plus||Front End Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Kafka Infrastructure Engineer||Engineering||Montreal, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Developer Tools Manager||Production Engineering||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -4 to UTC -8 time|
|Choose your own Security Engineering adventure||Engineering||Toronto, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Kafka Infrastructure Engineer||Production Engineering||Montreal, Canada|
|Developer - Billing||Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Web Developer||Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Software Developer||Engineering||Montreal, Canada|
|Front End Developer Lead, Checkout||Front End Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Scalability and Reliability||Production Engineering||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Mobile Developer - Security||Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Software Developer Lead - International Growth||Engineering||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|