About the role
Shopify is an entrepreneurship company that aims to make commerce better for everyone by leveling the playing field through meaningful technology. Entrepreneurship has been and will always be driven by connections and conversations. That’s why, at the Kit Group in our San Francisco office, we build conversational products to help Shopify entrepreneurs grow their business and succeed on Shopify. Growing a customer-base from scratch is hard, so we create products to help merchants get more done with less time.
Our engineering team works with the latest technology - constantly improving our codebase to make it better, more scalable, and leaner. We balance merchant impact with engineering complexity to build the right solution and ship multiple times per day. We share a passion for collaboration, solving tough problems with performant code, and giving engineers the creative freedom to make a real difference in the lives of entrepreneurs around the world.
Join us as we make commerce and conversations better for everyone.
Requirements for the role:
- You’ve been coding full time for a while now, and you’ve got a successful track record of shipping elegant and scalable code
- Building and scaling user-focused web applications
- Foundation of design principles, especially when it relates to platform development in the areas of API, data modeling, and scale
- A mindset for long-term solutions; you’ll need to assess system wide impacts that ensure the product evolves in the right way
- A curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things
- History of collaboration with teammates
- Affinity for mentorship; you’ll help developers grow to become senior contributors, and establish new mandates that will enable senior developers to take on technical leadership roles
- Experience working with Ruby on Rails or Go is a bonus, but not required
Some of the products and recent releases our team has worked on:
- Kit - a virtual employee powered by machine learning to help entrepreneurs grow their Shopify businesses. We recently launched Kit Skills that allows our developer community to build new skills into Shopify’s virtual employee.
- Ping - a smart inbox for our merchants where they can message customers and Kit through a variety of mediums. We recently launched a partnership with Apple Business Chat giving our 800,000+ merchants access to this unique conversational technology.
You'll be working on things like:
- Writing back-end code in Ruby or Go
- Learning and growing constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Providing elegant and scalable code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Using TDD to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve interesting problems
Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Tess is looking forward to reading your application.
Closing date: Monday, September 30th at 9am PST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Software Engineer||Engineering and Development||San Francisco, United States|