Senior Software Engineer - Backend
- Engineering & Data
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe — and developers play a vital role in building that future. Here are just some of the stories from the engineering teams who build and scale Shopify.
We're looking for:
Back End Engineers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code work on teams that ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking about millions of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community. We’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better.
What you’ll do as a Senior Software Engineer at Shopify:
- Collaborating with other designers and engineers
- Creating beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Using test-driven development to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Building and maintaining Shopify’s critical infrastructure through software and systems engineering
- Contributing back to the open source community
Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:
- Experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages — Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, React or React Native, Golang, Kubernetes — is an asset, but not required. Don’t have experience with many of them? No problem — deep experience with any object-oriented language and willingness to learn our tech stack goes a long way.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast to
- Bonus Points: You’ve mentored teammates on new ways to deepen their technical craft
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. And remember, we want to know what you’re really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shop, so please give us as much detail on this as you’d like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/teams/engineering
#LI-KO3 #LI-REMOTE #LI-AH1
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering