Senior Software Engineer - Data Stores Engineering
Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote
Shopify has been hard at work scaling and improving its database infrastructure. We process millions of queries per minute across hundreds of machines. The databases are the heart of our business -- it’s where we store all merchant and customer data. The Shopify platform requires a solid, mature, fast and open-source solution to perform this work. MySQL is a natural fit.
While being fast, available and reliable is certainly challenging, we want to do more. Our growing stable of apps, channel integrations such as Facebook and Pinterest, as well as internal tools and support functions all need to store data and we want them to build on a best of breed platform. We’re looking for someone who can help the existing team get our MySQL infrastructure to the next level. Someone who can engineer it for speed and availability as well as develop provisioning, monitoring and scaling tools to make MySQL the core of the greater Shopify platform.
What you’ll need to have to tackle this role:
- Experience with databases (not necessarily MySQL)
- Awesome programming skills. We usually work with Ruby and Go.
It’d be pretty cool if you had:
- Experience with MySQL
- Experience with Ruby and/or Rails
- Experience developing monitoring, tooling and alerting for high scale, high availability systems
- Experience with database proxies, HA and clustering solutions
Some things you’ll likely be doing in the first few months:
- Working as part of the engineering team to build and scale distributed, multi-datacenter systems
- Investigating and resolving production issues
- Building self-service tooling for engineers to automate the configuration and monitoring of the MySQL infrastructure
- Provisioning a new MySQL shard as easy as typing a command
- Building tools for tracking and improving query performance
There is an on-call component to this role. We like to fix things right when they break, even if it means doing it in our jammies.
How to Apply 📄 ➡️ 📬
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please address your application to Kayla.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Engineering jobs are posted.