Senior Software Engineer - Privacy
Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto
Shopify is dedicated to safeguarding the trust our merchants have in us, which is only possible through the careful handling of their data. Hundreds of thousands of merchants all over the world trust our systems with a myriad of important and sensitive information as we process millions of transactions each year. Protecting this information and being conscientious about how we use it is at the heart of how Shopify operates.
We are looking for a developer with a keen interest in online privacy. You will help us build and enhance our systems to protect the information entrusted to us and keep our systems compliant with privacy regulations the world over. You will work closely with our security, data, and legal teams to improve current products and build out new features with privacy baked into the development process. Your work will directly impact millions of people by protecting our merchants' data and that of their customers, thereby improving the trust people have in online commerce.
You’ll need to have:
- Experience with Rails or the desire to learn it quickly
- Extensive software development experience - proficient with things like software design patterns, code review, a variety of languages, TDD, etc
- Interest in developing creative ways of balancing the needs of a fast-growing platform and privacy protection
- Curiosity about how systems, both legal and software, work
It’d be great if you have experience with:
- Building and scaling user-focused web applications
- Developing systems that are compliant with a regulatory regime (anti-spam laws, privacy laws, consent decrees, etc.)
- Developing for Spark or similar technologies
- Database technologies including MySQL and Postgres
- Data warehouse technologies such as Vertica or HDFS
You'll be working on things like:
- Collaborating with project teams to help guide product development toward having privacy concerns included by design
- Responding to changes in regulatory or contractual requirements with timely code fixes and product adjustment
How to Apply 📄 ➡️ 📬
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please address your application to Krystle.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Engineering jobs are posted.