Senior Software Engineer - Privacy
Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto
Trust is central everything we do here at Shopify. Our merchants trust us everyday with their businesses, their livelihoods, and their reputation with their customers as we continually strive to make Shopify better for them. Over 500 000 merchants all over the world trust our systems with a myriad of important and sensitive information as we process millions of transactions each year. Protecting this information and being conscientious about how we use it is at the heart of how Shopify operates.
And this is where you come in! Our Privacy and Data Management Team is growing and we're looking for an engineer with a keen interest in online privacy to join us. You'll see the impact of your work as teams across Shopify come to you for advice as they develop any number of products. You will help us build and enhance our systems to protect the information entrusted to us and keep our systems compliant with privacy regulations the world over. You'll influence the direction of this small team as you return from conferences or workshops, brimming with fresh ideas on our approach or scope. No one's an island here, and you'll develop close relationships with our security, data, and legal teams to improve current products and build out new features with privacy baked into the development process. And it all comes down to this: your work will directly impact millions of people by protecting our merchants' data and that of their customers, thereby improving the trust people have in online commerce.
You’ll bring the following qualities and experiences to your team:
- Experience with Rails or the desire to learn it quickly. You'll hit the ground running if you've worked with Rails before, but not to worry if you haven't. Many of our engineers work with Rails for the first time upon arrival - we simply ask that you bring enthusiasm to learn and we'll support your growth.
- Extensive software development experience. You're proficient with things like software design patterns, code review, a variety of languages, TDD, etc. and are happy to share your knowledge with others. This feeds particularly well into the previous point - being an experienced engineer will reduce potential hurdles if you're learning Rails with us.
- Creativity when balancing seemingly conflicting priorities. Shopify is a fast-growing platform, with new products being developed all the time. Your creativity is key when building privacy protection into a system that changes on a near daily basis.
- A curious mind. You love a good puzzle and work hard to understand how systems, both legal and software, work.
We'll be super excited if you have these experiences:
- Developing regulatory-compliant systems (anti-spam laws, privacy laws, consent decrees, etc.)
- Developing for Spark or similar technologies
- Working with Database technologies including MySQL and Postgres
- Data warehousing with technologies such as Vertica or HDFS
- Following the progression and potential impact of new privacy regulations, most notably the GDPR
You'll be working on things like:
- Collaborating with project teams to help guide product development toward having privacy concerns included by design
- Responding to changes in regulatory or contractual requirements with timely code fixes and product adjustment
How to Apply 📄 ➡️ 📬
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Frances will be reading your application, so be sure to say hello!
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Engineering jobs are posted.