Senior Software Engineer, Shop – Backend, Mobile, or Frontend Development
- Engineering & Data
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
Shopify has focused the last decade on solving complex problems for entrepreneurs by making commerce seamless and accessible. Now, we want to do the same for customers through Shop.
Shop is on a mission to change how we shop. From the fastest checkout experience in Shop Pay to all-in-one order tracking and easy ways to find and shop local brands in app, Shop is making shopping better one step at a time for both shoppers and the merchants they buy from.
We're looking for Senior Software Engineers to join our team as we turn Shop into one of the most beloved products and brands in the world. We want shoppers to be able to develop meaningful connections with the brands they love, and we believe that Shop is the answer to helping foster those relationships with the powerhouse of Shopify merchants we love and support.
What types of Senior Software Engineers might be interested in joining?
Back End Development
Back End Engineers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code work on teams that ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking millions of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community. We’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better.
Mobile Development (React Native, Android & iOS)
Our Mobile Engineers work along with designers and product managers to build and launch new features for our apps. You’ll work on our large-scale app that serves millions of shoppers. Our teams are working with React Native so openness to cross-platform mobile development is a must! You’ll work across disciplines and are excited about building human-centred experiences.
Front End Development
What you’ll do as a Senior Software Engineer at Shopify:
- Collaborating with other designers and engineers
- Creating beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Using test-driven development to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Contributing back to the open source community
Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shop and Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Experience with working in a cross-discipline environment with designers and other engineers to produce and vet ideas through prototyping early concepts
- Bonus Points: You’ve mentored teammates on new ways to deepen their technical craft
As there are multiple positions, this posting will remain live until all positions have been filled. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us within 2 weeks of application.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. And remember, we want to know what you’re really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shop, so please give us as much detail on this as you’d like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/teams/engineering
#LI-KO3 #LI-REMOTE #LI-AH1
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering