About the role
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe. Here are just some of the stories from the engineering teams who build and scale Shopify.
We’re looking for Senior Software Engineering Managers to join our team, and maybe you’re the person we’re looking for!
Back End Development
At Shopify, Back End Developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code work on teams that ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking millions of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community. We’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better.
Mobile Development (React Native, Android & iOS)
Our Mobile Developers work along with designers and product managers to build and launch new features for our apps. You’ll work on large-scale apps that are ever-changing, enabling entrepreneurship for hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs. Our Android developers use Kotlin and our iOS developers use Swift. Our teams are increasingly working with React Native so openness to cross-platform mobile development is a plus!
You’ll be working on things like:
- Managing several teams and helping them prioritize, build and ship the most impactful features to our merchants and community of developers.
- As a member of the product area leadership, build a composite roadmap that reflects the priorities in the different areas and continuously rebalance the teams to react to changes in the surrounding conditions.
- Work on problems with your teams, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items.
- Work with product, UX and other disciplines to discover the best solutions for our merchants.
- Grow a team of teams both through internal development and helping with external hiring.
Qualities you likely have to be well suited to this role:
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, ReactJS, PHP or Python.
- Familiarity with distributed and highly available systems at scale.
- A strong technical foundation. You feel comfortable diving into the code and interacting with developers at all levels of seniority.
- Experience designing and developing APIs.
- Proven leadership skills. Your management skills and technical depth allows you to develop and mentor others at IC and Management level as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader engineering strategies.
- You are comfortable working with senior stakeholders (Director level and up), both technical and non technical.
- You have successfully built and grown large teams of engineers during your career.
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results.
- Domain experience in eCommerce, shipping & logistics, or financial services is ideal but not necessary for versatile engineering leaders who are strong in their craft.
- You have experience building your own app(s) on platforms like Shopify.
As there are multiple positions, this posting will remain live until all positions have been filled. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us within 2 weeks of application.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. And remember, we want to know what you’re really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you’d like in the answers on the next page 👍 📖
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/teams/engineering
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.