Senior Solutions Engineer, China
- Sales and Account Management
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. We propel entrepreneurs and enterprises to scale the heights of their potential. Since 2006, we’ve grown to 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
As a Senior Solutions Engineer, you help break down technical barriers to enable our sales and partnerships team to show high growth, high volume, and complex merchants how they can accelerate the growth of their business with Shopify. You will consult on their ecommerce technology stack and business objectives, and provide guidance on how to best leverage and build with the Shopify platform and ecosystem. You will also advise on best practices around complex integrations and provide solutions to set them up for long-term success.
Solutions Engineers are Shopify advocates and represent the Shopify brand, values, and product.
The role includes merchant-facing activities, including remote and on-site engagements with merchants and supporting community events. You'll be partnering with large Shopify Plus merchants across the Asia Pacific (APAC) region, and be a key source of insight to provide feedback to Shopify’s Product, Engineering and User Experience teams.
While we would prefer a candidate to be based in Singapore, this is a remote position available within APAC (AU,NZ,JP,SG) and will support merchants and our business growth in China. You will have the opportunity to engage directly with our merchants, their technical teams and our established partners in China to have high level ‘solutions-focused’ discussions around the Shopify platform. More specifically, you will be applying your native Chinese language and background skills to consult with merchants in China as they come onto the platform.
This position will report into the APAC Solutions Engineering Lead.
Requirements for the role:
- 3-5+ years of experience in B2B pre-sales solutions engineering
- An expert on commerce, Shopify, regional specific commerce applications, ecosystems, and integrations
- Great troubleshooting and analytical skills combined with the desire to tackle challenges head-on
- Behaviours aligned with experimentation, learning, and teaching our growing enterprise customers, partner agencies, and internal teams
- Familiarity with web APIs, middleware development, and front end development
- A genuine care for the outcomes of our stakeholders and customers
- Native or fluent in Mandarin & English (business fluent is a bonus)
Your responsibilities will include:
- Providing support to our sales and partner teams through various channels
- Working to help advise merchants (including their development partners) on technical solutions for the best business success on the platform.
- Creating customised product demos and proof of concepts for use live or recorded virtual client demonstrations
- Exploring creative ways to develop on the platform and answering inquiries about our APIs
- Mentoring and coaching the sales team on technical aspects of Shopify
- Being an advocate and trusted advisor for the merchant always, and by bringing your insights and knowledge to our product teams
Diversity is the magic that makes a Solutions Engineering team great. At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialised people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering