About the role
We are looking for an experienced technical leader to join our Observability team to drive technical excellence across Shopify's Observability Platform.
As a member of Shopify’s observability team you’ll be directly responsible for the availability, and scalability of Shopify’s observability infrastructure.The tools we build and maintain have an impact on the entire organization from our CTO to our product teams. There is a lot of work to do as we build a best-in-class observability platform that will empower Shopify engineers' to build better and more reliable products.
You could work on:
- Build and scale the observability infrastructure to support billions of events daily.
- Contribute to open source projects (e.g. OpenTelemetry, Prometheus, M3DB)
- Collaborate with the team on projects that improve the resiliency, transparency and unification of Shopify’s Observability Platform.
- Building tooling to improve instrumentation.
- Work across teams at Shopify to educate and drive adoption of observability tooling.
We offer you:
- An opportunity to have massive impact. Our scale means you will have the opportunity to have an impact on commerce across the globe.
- A group of exceptionally talented and dedicated peers with which to collaborate.
- Growth and leadership. We believe in growing engineers through ownership and leadership opportunities. We also believe mentors help on both sides of the equation.
- A constant stream of new things to learn. We're always expanding into new areas, bringing in open source projects, contributing back, and exploring new technologies.
- The ability to write high quality code in a high level programming language (e.g. Go, Ruby, Java)
- Experience with Site Reliability engineering/ DevOps practices.
- Experience leading the architecture and automation of infrastructure within a cloud environment.
- Experience deploying and operating a time series metric database (e.g. - Prometheus, InfluxDB, Cortex).
- Experience deploying and operating distributed tracing infrastructure.
- Experience deploying and monitoring a production system at scale in a cloud native environment.
- A track record of being a self-starter and a team player keen on mentoring others and growing your own skill set within a fast paced environment.
- Experience working on a remote or distributed engineering team.
- Experience with Terraform and/or building infrastructure orchestration tooling for Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with Splunk.
- Understand the fundamentals of Kubernetes.
- Experience programming in Go and/or Ruby.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.