About the role
The Senior Support Specialist - Incident Communications reports to the Incident Communications Lead
The Senior Support Specialist - Incident Communications interacts with merchants, buyers, Advisors, Specialists, Leads, and Experts across Support, as well as stakeholders from Communications, Engineering, Plus, Legal, Trust, Talent, and Product teams
In Support, our product is people. This includes our merchants, our team, and the success of the entire company we work for. We help people make money. We believe that human conversations help people make lifelong connections to our company. Every interaction with our merchants is an opportunity to do more than answer questions; we create memorable experiences by adding value to their businesses.
The Incident Response (IR) team’s mission is to enable everyone to do their best work in times of crisis. Incident Communications is one branch of a two-pronged IR Service Delivery team, which includes operations communications. The Senior Support Specialist - Incident Communications uses their expertise in strategic communication to make decisions with varying levels of complexity related to incident and crisis communication to Shopify’s internal and external audiences. Working closely with stakeholders all over the organization, their goal is to use effective communication to remove barriers for merchants while protecting Shopify’s reputation when things don’t go according to plan.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Consult on, conceptualize and execute successful, on-brand communications strategies for incidents and/or other high-impact scenarios
- Use different communication mediums (Shopify Support Twitter, Community, in-admin messages, 1:1 or 1:many email, etc.) to achieve desired outcomes
- Empower merchant-facing teams with key messaging and context to handle incident-related interactions confidently
- Stay up-to-date on trends and patterns in the world of incident response and crisis communications
- Advocate internally for the value of communications plans
- Use your subject-matter expertise to consistently produce high-quality work
- Look beyond symptomatic problems to identify and solve issues at the root cause
- Execute on and prioritizes deliverables in a timely manner
- Maintain relationships and collaborate effectively with relevant stakeholders
- Set an example by embodying Shopify’s values, and aid in maintaining an environment where our values-based culture thrives
- Make decisions that are highly aligned to the strategic priorities of both Shopify and Support, and that consider merchants, employees, and the business in their outcomes
- Contribute to projects that may involve other disciplines or crafts, building reciprocal relationships on the foundation of trust
- Manage multiple priorities and tasks with the appropriate level of detail and planning
- Passionate about and exceptionally skilled in written and verbal communication
- Proven experience successfully communicating with large audiences through a variety of mediums
- Relationship builder who quickly establishes high-trust connections through collaborative working relationships
- Understand the business needs of merchants and Support and considers both in decision-making
- See 5 steps ahead, identifying and mitigating risks before they manifest
- A self starter who Gets Shit Done with minimal oversight
- Challenge the status quo - someone who asks why things are done a certain way and make themselves part of the solution
- Love building. Taking an idea from inception to execution. Identifying and improving on roadblocks and points of failure and iterating on the success and value in the process
- You’re familiar with Shopify’s brand voice & tone and can confidently apply it to your writing
- Prior experience in a strategic, communications-focused role (Public Relations, Crisis communications, etc.)
- Experience using Salesforce Marketing Cloud (ExactTarget)
- Experience working with technical stakeholders and/or translating technical information/language for a non-technical audience
- Project management experience
- Experience working with emergencies or other urgent, high risk situations
If you are excited about this opportunity, click on "Apply for this job" and let us know why you think it’s the right fit for you.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.