About the role
In Support, our product is people. This includes our merchants, our team, and the success of the entire company we work for. We help people make money. As a Senior Support Specialist - Plus Technical Merchant Support (TMS), you empower entrepreneurs around the world through your conversations. We believe that human conversations help people make lifelong connections to our company. Every interaction with our merchants is an opportunity to do more than answer questions; we create memorable experiences by adding value to their businesses.
Senior Support Specialists in Plus TMS are trained and supported with the appropriate knowledge and tools to determine what merchants want and need, and help them take their business one step further. You are building solutions, projects, or tools that contribute to overall merchant success, while interacting with them through one of our available Support channels.
Senior Support Specialists in Plus TMS aim to provide dedicated, context-specific technical support to our Plus Merchants. By working consistently with Plus merchants, members in this role are expected to develop and apply a deep understanding of Plus-specific products, unique problems encountered by large-scale, high-GMV merchants, as well as the context of the Plus ecosystem at Shopify. This is an opportunity to tackle the most challenging and time-sensitive issues coming from our Plus Merchants.
In the role you will:
Engage in high quality interactions with internal stakeholders and those who are seeking Support, that positively impact merchant success
Offer guidance and collaborate with your peers on decisions and changes that impact your team
Own discipline- and craft-specific projects, and support or contribute to larger, cross-functional projects
Prioritize your time with minimal guidance from your lead
Be accountable for quality of technical expertise, service, and contributions to projects and teams
Solve more complex problems both individually and in collaboration with other teams
Apply your expertise to advocate on behalf of merchants to internal stakeholders and consults on craft questions or solutions
Seek, design, and build solutions based on limited direction
Critique your own work and provide clear, actionable, and creative feedback to others
Handle escalated Plus tickets with a high level of care, while meeting Plus ticket priority
Support internal teams in real-time through internal channels during a scheduled channel shift, making outbound calls to Plus merchants where necessary
Contribute to knowledge management for areas that are not documented or in need of updating
Set an example by embodying Shopify’s values
What we are looking for:
- You have a track record of exceptional customer-facing service experience
- You will be able to quickly pick up the ins and outs of new features on Shopify’s platform
- You thrive on taking ownership for larger technical issues and seeing them through to a resolution
- You don’t run from challenges; you approach issues head-on and bring everyone up with you
- You will be invested in our merchants’ success and are eager to jump on a call with a Plus merchant to explain what is happening with an issue or to collect more information for your investigation
- You are proficient with Splunk (Rails logs) and SQL (databases) to help you find out exactly what happened or what is happening with a particular situation
- You are an advocate for merchants while providing them with technical support and when their issues make it to developers
- Your mindset and approach sentiment is ‘How can I add value to this Plus merchant in this interaction?'
It would be great if you have:
- Knowledge of web technologies (HTML, CSS, etc.)
- Experience with Rails to help with investigations in Splunk or Github
- A good understanding of HTTP protocol, DNS and SSL provisioning
- Experience with Liquid. You won't need to make a theme but you should know how to make small changes and what's possible with our themes
- An understanding of RESTful APIs and JSON/XML. You don’t need to know how to make an app, but you know how to test Shopify’s API
- Experience working in an application ecosystem and integrating 3rd party technologies into the Shopify platform
If this role excites you, click the “Apply” button to submit your application. Please make sure to address your cover letter to Angela and include the following:
- Tell us a time that you went above and beyond for a customer and what was the outcome.
Closing Date: Wednesday October 20th, 2021 or when we have enough applications
Please note that if you haven’t heard from us in 4 weeks' time we recommend checking your junk folder and adding “Shopify” to your inbox filter as, at times, our emails have ended up in junk folders.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2020 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.