About the role
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down. UX Developers are an integral part of our UX team and bridge the gap between UX and Engineering. They are responsible for building and maintaining exceptional user experiences for over a million merchants – and their customers – worldwide. Along with creating the thoughtful interfaces our users have come to expect, our UX Developers help shape our design language and contribute to our shared component libraries in a maintainable and scalable way within Shopify’s technical architecture.
We’re looking for people to join the team who are excited about building human-centred experiences. There are plenty of opportunities to learn and advance. You’ll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to bring your whole self to work, and the chance to work with the best in the business.
You'll be working with...
As a Senior UX Developer, you'll be working with one of the following teams:
Store Management - Store Management is what merchants login to -- it's the interface of their business(es). It’s also where merchants spend most of their time. Merchants go there to set up their store(s), manage their products, pricing, collections, inventory, orders, and fulfillment, and make decisions based on reports, insights, and recommendations. We strive to be the heart and brain of businesses small to large.
Channels, Online Experience - We connect merchants and buyers everywhere through Shopify. We help merchants reach, sell, and service their buyers from first sale to large scale. We create long-term buyer ownership by unifying the evolving channels of commerce, whether online or offline, owned or rented, with Shopify at the centre. As part of the Online Experience team, you’ll:
- Build new features for the Storefront that improve the quality of buyer experiences.
- Own the implementation of those features in our first-party theme catalogue.
- Improve our first-party themes quality in web accessibility and web performance.
- Contribute to our theme templating language, Liquid, to help support the future of online shopping experiences.
- Expertise in building user interfaces that are interactive, inclusive, performant, and reusable
- Knowledge about modern CSS language features, including Flexbox, CSS Grid, feature queries
- An understanding of HTML semantics and ARIA roles, and knowing their correct application
- Expertise in building modular, reusable, flexible components and accessible interfaces. Especially with React.
- Working in a cross-discipline environment with designers and other developers to prototype early concepts to vet ideas
- Collaborating on new technologies and processes within a company or community
- Awareness of web accessibility and empathy for building products for people with different abilities and needs
You’ll get to do things like:
- Learn the latest front end technologies and standards to ensure we are always using the best techniques possible
- Collaborate with Product Designers, Product Content Strategists, and UX Researchers
- Be an advocate throughout the company for great UX
- Learn through peer mentorship and collaboration
- Managing an open source library
- Experience in a UX development role on a commerce site, or a marketing site promoting a product or service
- Experience with product design systems
- Experience with Typescript
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application!
Learn more about our UX team on the Shopify UX blog.
Closing date: Monday, March 2nd at 9 am EST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Production Engineering - Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Apprentice Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Development Manager, Shopify Payments||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Senior UX Developer, Online Experience||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Senior Mobile Developer (iOS, Android, React Native)||Engineering and Development||Toronto, Montreal|
|Production Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Production Engineering Manager, Production Foundations||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|
|Senior Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Staff Developer, Checkout||Engineering and Development||Montreal, Canada|