About the role
First things first: What is a Senior UX Developer?
At Shopify we have two Front End Development roles: UX Developer and Web Developer. These each have their own specific craft expectations which supplement and complement our UX Expectations and R&D Expectations. Before applying for this Senior UX Developer role, take a look at the differences to see which side you’re more interested in.
- Work mainly at the UI layer
- Approach the problem from a UX perspective
- Thinking about UX first and foremost
- Work very closely with other UX disciplines (UX research, product design, content strategists)
- Focus on reusability, inclusiveness, accessibility, performance and high-quality interactions (i.e. different browsers, devices, different interfaces like touch, click, voice, i18n)
- Have a deep understanding of CSS
- Create inclusive designs, prototypes, and validate user interface uncertainties
- Help identify technical constraints and new APIs
- Purview is the technical implementation of UX concerns
- Develop and own the user interface building blocks and work with engineering to hydrate the user interfaces
- If after reading this you think you're more of a Web Developer than a UX Developer, check out this open Senior Web Developer role!
- Work mainly across the data and feature layers
- Approach the problem from an engineering perspective
- Thinking about technical solutions first and foremost
- Understand basic web application architecture and patterns, such as MVC and Ruby on Rails
- Understand HTTP and how to fetch data for a client-side application using an API
- Have a basic understanding of modern CSS, particularly layout properties like flexbox, and be able to stretch into more complex CSS when building a component outside of our component libraries
- Have a basic understanding of HTML semantics and ARIA roles, and know their correct application (e.g. labels always need to be present and match to an input, use real buttons, avoid links without hrefs, heading levels make sense, etc.)
- Bring additional considerations to designers and UX Developers and work with them to find solutions (e.g. performance impact of designs, keyboard navigation, parts that can’t be easily rendered on the server, etc.)
Here's what we're *specifically* looking for in our Senior UX Developer, Marketing:
- Expertise in building user interfaces that are interactive, inclusive, performant, and reusable
- Application of modern CSS language features, including Flexbox, CSS Grid, feature queries across systems with scalability in mind
- An understanding of HTML semantics and ARIA roles, and knowing their correct application
- Expertise in building modular, reusable, flexible components and accessible interfaces. Especially with React.
- Working in a cross-discipline environment with designers, researchers and other developers to prototype early concepts to vet ideas
- Awareness of web accessibility and empathy for building products for people with different abilities and needs
You'll get to do things like:
- Learn the latest front end technologies and standards to ensure we are always using the best techniques possible
- Collaborate with Product Designers, Product Content Strategists, and UX Researchers
- Be an advocate throughout our team, and the company for great UX
- Translating brand language into the UX on new Shopify products
- Learn through peer mentorship and collaboration.
- Managing, or contributions to an open source library
- Experience in a UX development role on a commerce site, or a marketing site promoting a product or service
- Experience with product design systems - at Shopify we use Polaris
- Experience with Typescript
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application - Chelsea is looking forward to reading more about you!
Closing date: Monday, May 25th at 5pm EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior UX Developer, Plus||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Director of Engineering||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Senior Web Developer, Marketing||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Hawaii)||Engineering and Development||Americas, United States|
|Mobile Development at Shopify (Expression of Interest)||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Staff Developer||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Software Development at Shopify (Expression of Interest)||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Senior Marketing UX Developer||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Senior UX Developer||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Technical Program Manager - Shopify Shipping||Engineering and Development||Americas, Canada|
|RnD Learning Program Specialist||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Staff Developer - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Senior Web Developer||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Web Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Development Manager - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Americas|