About the role
At Shopify, we care deeply about making commerce better for everyone. This mission began when our founders started an online business selling snowboards. Existing software was expensive and so hard to use that it made their dream of entrepreneurship feel impossible. So they changed their focus and started developing Shopify to enable anyone with something to sell to easily start, run, and grow their business.
Today, Shopify empowers more than 800,000+ merchants from all over the world to succeed at entrepreneurship. Our mission is ambitious and we're looking for great people to join us. 🚀
About the UX Research team...
The UX Research team guides and informs the company towards designing and building better products and experiences for people using a variety of research methods. Researchers work with teams to incorporate people-centric thinking from problem definition to post-launch iteration. We ask thoughtful research questions, conduct contextual research, frame problems, synthesize insights, evaluate concepts or prototypes, and assist with launches and releases.
We value diversity and learning from one another, so you’ll be joining a team of researchers from various backgrounds (e.g. anthropology, psychology, human-computer interaction, industrial design). You’ll have opportunities to learn, lead, and contribute to meaningful work.
You'll be working with...
Shopify Plus - Embracing scale and complexity is the key to growth for high-volume businesses. The team at Shopify Plus is aggressively working to create simple platform solutions to meet the needs of some of the fastest growing businesses in the world.
You'll be working on:
- Helping to define our product roadmap by understanding and advocating for user needs across multiple touchpoints
- Articulating research questions and priorities with multiple teams and using a range of research methods to answer those questions
- Synthesizing and summarizing findings using multiple data sources to inform product, UX, engineering, and marketing decisions
- Collaborating closely with designers, engineers, product managers, and other disciplines to design, implement, and track the success of products
- You’ll identify and help solve wider merchant problems across teams and product areas
- Mentoring other UX disciplines, levelling up our UXR team, and helping evolve our tools and research best practices to continually grow and improve the discipline
You'll need to have:
- A passion for unpacking and solving complex systems problems that span across multiple contexts
- The ability to identify the best UX research methods and tools to use depending on project objectives and constraints
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative UX product and service design process
- Experience applying a range of research methods with creativity, scrappiness, and critical thinking. Example research methods may include observations and in-depth interviewing, usability and accessibility testing, diary studies, card sorting, eye and click tracking, surveys
- The ability to clearly communicate insights and recommendations to different audiences
The right person for this role will:
- Put merchants first: Our UX team is focussing on creating user-centric, high impact, high quality experiences. We have a deep empathy for our merchants and understand that we design and build products for them.
- Build for the long-term: you’ll work with your team to prioritize what problems to explore and address by critically evaluating merchant impact, product vision, and technical capabilities.
- Work collaboratively: you’ll have an understanding that great experiences come from collaborative decision-making with other disciplines. You’ll build strong working relationships with peers and stakeholders to act in our merchants’ best interests.
- Be self-directed: Shopify is at the intersection of two exciting industries, tech and commerce. Every day is different and we thrive on ambiguity. You’ll adapt to shifting approaches, situations, and priorities, and use your experience and judgement to create the best possible solutions.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work (...we've been through this interview process after all 😏) and we truly value your time. Chris and Adri are looking forward to reading your application. We'd love to see a few samples of work you're proud of: portfolio of UX research studies, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Closing date: Monday, September 23rd at 9am EDT.