Senior UX Researcher - Core Foundations
At Shopify, we care deeply about making commerce better for everyone. This mission began when our founders started an online business selling snowboards. Existing software was expensive and so hard to use that it made their dream of entrepreneurship feel impossible. So they changed their focus and started developing Shopify to enable anyone with something to sell to easily start, run, and grow their business.
Today, Shopify empowers more than 500,000 merchants from all over the world to succeed at entrepreneurship. Our mission is ambitious and we're always looking for great people to join us.
Merchants use a multitude of platforms and devices to access and manage their business. We dig deep to identify and prioritize their wants and needs, to learn the contexts that merchants operate in and to understand what tasks they need to perform. Our team’s mission is to build a cohesive experience, no matter where they are in the product, and what device they are using to operate their business.
We’re looking for a Senior UX Researcher who is passionate about creating a remarkable mobile experience for business owners by understanding their needs, goals and requirements, identifying the key tasks that users perform on their mobile devices, and capturing where, when and how the device is being used. You’ll be collaborating with product managers, UX designers, engineers, content strategists, and other UX researchers to help identify and solve impactful problems like:
- Creating a cohesive experience for merchants across platforms and devices;
- Making complex business-related processes and systems approachable and accessible by helping our merchants manage their businesses anywhere, anytime.
You'll be working on:
- Helping to define our product roadmap by understanding and advocating for user needs across multiple devices
- Articulating research questions and priorities with multiple teams, then working with UX researchers and using a range of research methods to answer those questions
- Synthesizing and summarizing findings using multiple data sources to inform product, UX, engineering, and marketing decisions
- Collaborating closely with designers, engineers, product managers, and other disciplines to design, implement, and track the success of products
- Sharing knowledge, identifying, and solving wider problems across teams and product areas
- Mentoring other UX disciplines and advocating for systems approach to research and design, leading by example with your insights across multiple Shopify touch-points
- Levelling up our UX team, sharing knowledge, and helping evolve our tools and best practices based on the insights you uncover across the Shopify platform
You'll need to have:
- A passion for unpacking and solving complex systems problems that span across multiple contexts
- The ability to identify the best UX research methods and tools to use depending on project objectives and constraints
- Exceptional UX research and systems design abilities shown in a portfolio of real-world projects
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative UX product and service design process
- Experience applying a range of research methods with creativity, scrappiness, and critical thinking. Example research methods may include observations and in-depth interviewing, usability and accessibility testing, diary studies, card sorting, eye and click tracking, surveys
- The ability to clearly communicate evidence-based recommendations and accept feedback
- Proficiency with UX research tools, such as research software (e.g. MAXQDA, NVivo, Microsoft Excel, SPSS), survey tools (e.g. SurveyMonkey, Typeform), remote usability tools (e.g. Optimal Workshop, Lookback, Dscout), data analysis platforms (e.g. Mode Analytics, Tableau, Google Analytics)
The right person for this role will:
- Put merchants first: Our UX team is focussing on creating user-centric, high impact, high quality experiences. We have a deep empathy for our merchants and understand that we design and build products for them.
- Build for the long-term: you’ll work with your team to prioritize what problems to explore and address by critically evaluating merchant impact, product vision, and technical capabilities.
- Work collaboratively: you’ll have an understanding that great experiences come from collaborative decision-making with other disciplines. You’ll build strong working relationships with peers and stakeholders to act in our merchants’ best interests.
- Be self-directed: Shopify is at the intersection of two exciting industries, tech and commerce. Every day is different and we thrive on ambiguity. You’ll adapt to shifting approaches, situations, and priorities, and use your experience and judgement to create the best possible solutions.
Here's how to apply
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application.
Please address your cover letter to Nora and include a link to a few samples of your work you’re proud of: portfolio of UX research studies, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Design & UX jobs are posted.