About the role
Shopify’s International Growth team’s mission is to make commerce better for everyone... everywhere! Making Shopify better for merchants around the world brings deeply interesting UX challenges across language, behaviours, currency & trade, and ultimately, culture. We’re on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly and collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
About the role:
As Senior UX Researcher on the International Growth team, you will have a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants in APAC. You will help us build real connections with merchants, and bring these insights into product teams across Shopify. You will work with a multidisciplinary UX team of product designers, content strategists, user researchers, and front-end developers to deliver the best possible experience for our merchants around the world.
The UX Research team guides and informs the company towards designing and building better products and experiences for people using a variety of research methods. Researchers work with teams to incorporate people-centric thinking from problem definition to post-launch iteration. We ask thoughtful research questions, conduct contextual research, frame problems, synthesize insights, evaluate concepts and prototypes, and assist with launches and releases.
In addition to informing product and UX, we also work on broader internal initiatives to cultivate international merchant empathy throughout Shopify (e.g. remote merchant tours of Shopify stores, merchant Q&A panels).
You'll be working on:
- Helping to define our product roadmap for APAC by understanding and advocating for international merchant needs across language, culture, and local commerce behaviours. While we may share the platform, merchant needs vary greatly around the world.
- Obtain insights for our team to build new products around international requirements, to serve merchants in new ways on the Shopify platform. We know that language, payments, and shipping products can function fundamentally differently around the world - we need you to help us consider the breadth and depth of these challenges and provide simple, scalable experiences. This may include travel and conducting field research on the ground in-market.
- Articulating research questions and priorities with multiple teams and using a range of research methods to answer those questions
- Collaborating closely with various teams (Product, Design, Culture, Data, etc.) to help make better decisions around culture, collaboration, tools, and product roadmaps.
- Working with the team to enable the UX Research practice at Shopify to confidently incorporate an international perspective into their work.
You'll need to have:
- Proficient in Mandarin and English at a business level
- Experience with field research in countries in Asia Pacific, in a product development context. Hands-on experience scoping and prioritizing research questions, research planning, data gathering, analysis, summarizing, and sharing findings.
- The ability to identify the best UX research methods and tools to use depending on project objectives and constraints
- Experience applying a range of research methods with creativity, scrappiness, and critical thinking.
- Example research methods may include observations and in-depth interviewing, usability and accessibility testing, diary studies, card sorting, eye and click tracking, surveys
- Examples of projects where your research insights led to better informed design decisions (e.g. to guide product roadmaps, strategy decisions)
- Familiarity with combining qualitative and quantitative data.
- The ability to clearly communicate insights and recommendations to different audiences
- Proven ability to build relationships between disciplines and cultivate collaboration, especially on distributed or remote teams.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Jennifer is looking forward to reading your application.