About the role
Shopify is the world's fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans to slow down. Created to empower entrepreneurs around the world to build and grow their businesses, Shopify has become a leading cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform for start-up and enterprise merchants alike.
In Waterloo, the Automation team sets out to empower Shopify Plus merchants to grow their business with efficiency and flexibility. We do this by building products and platforms focussed on business process automation and software integrations. Shopify Flow and Shopify Scripts are two of our solutions in the market. These two apps add tons of merchant value today, but to take this to the next level we want to build a technology platform on which future products can be built. This posting is for a Senior Web Developer who will join the Scripts team and help us do just that.
Scripts lets merchants run customized code in their checkout flow, and has been successful in the market so far. However, there is so much untapped potential with a technology platform that can run third party code to customize Shopify. We are looking to take Scripts from its current position as a Shopify Plus checkout app, to a platform-wide extensibility solution for all merchants. Moving from a product to a platform in this way requires great engineering innovations, and we need your help!
Things you'll be doing:
- As an early developer on a greenfield project, you will set direction and drive the front-end architecture for a React based single page web app
- Create engaging web applications that are responsive, performant, and accessible that delight audiences through the use of animation and complex interactions
- Collaborate closely with UX teams to build world-class product experiences
- Keep up to date on the latest front end technologies and standards to ensure we are always using the best tools and techniques possible
- Write lots of amazing code
- Be an advocate throughout the company for great UX
- Help to grow the front-end team by mentoring interns and junior developers, and support recruiting efforts
You will need experience with:
- Working collaboratively in a cross-discipline environment to suggest and critique ideas, prototype solutions, and make data-informed decisions
- Developing products that perform well on all devices using modern languages and frameworks
- Building complex interactions in a performant way, with a high degree of polish
- Working with modern web stacks (transpilers, linters, build and CI tools, etc)
- Providing highly effective code reviews and peer support
- Backend languages and frameworks so you can work across the stack when needed
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application! Please get your application to us by Friday November 22nd.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Production Engineering - Web Foundation Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Production Engineer - Sr Kafka Engineer||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Montreal|
|Production Engineering - Developer Acceleration Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Senior Infrastructure Engineers||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Email Deliverability Specialist||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Salesforce Developer||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Job Patterns||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Montreal|