About the role
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world to start and grow their businesses. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans of slowing down!
This role will be part of the Store Management Foundations team, the User Access team is enhancing Identity Access Management across Shopify services. Projects like finer-grained permissions, management of roles and deeper control over staff actions are just some of the features you will be helping develop. On this team, you'll work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items.
We’re looking for Senior Web Developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. You’ll work closely with the software engineering team, designers and product managers delivering merchant-facing products. You’ll gain a ton of perspective as you connect with different people that work on related parts of Shopify.
Your day-to-day will involve bridging the gap between our UX designers and back-end devs so we can deliver great experiences for everyone involved - creating good UX/UI for our users; readable, maintainable, tested code for the team; and robust code for the various browsers
Projects you could work on:
- Collaborating with other disciplines across Engineering, UX, and Product to help develop front-end solutions for merchant problems
- Building and enhancing performant web applications that are responsive and accessible
- Developing applications based in and on Typescript, React and GraphQL
- Contributing to our shared design system and component library Polaris
- Learning the latest front-end technologies and standards to ensure we are always using the best tools and techniques possible
- Advocating for great UX
- Writing and maintaining unit and integration tests
Relevant experience for the role:
- Embracing React at the moment, knowledge of Ruby on Rails is a plus
- Developing front-end web applications that perform well on all devices using modern languages and frameworks
- Working with one or more modern web stacks (transpilers, linters, build and CI tools, etc.)
- Writing automated tests as part of your development workflow
- Working in large and diverse teams
- Providing highly effective code reviews and peer support
Tools and the nitty-gritty:
- Our front-end uses React, TypeScript and SCSS Modules
- We build all our projects with a collaborative code review process using Github Flow
- We are modernizing our front-end stack to use a component system built with React, TypeScript, Apollo/GraphQL, and CSS modules
- You will likely be involved in modernizing existing Ruby on Rails based apps to use a React front-end, and building new React-based apps
- You will be expected to keep up with the latest front end development best practices
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Jennifer is looking forward to reading your application!
Closing date: May 25th at 9:00am PST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Hawaii)||Engineering and Development||Americas, United States|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Senior Web Developer, Marketing||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Mobile Development at Shopify (Expression of Interest)||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Technical Program Manager - Shopify Shipping||Engineering and Development||Americas, Canada|
|Director of Engineering||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Development Manager - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Staff Developer||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Senior UX Developer, Marketing||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Staff Developer - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Web Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Senior Marketing UX Developer||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Senior UX Developer||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Senior UX Developer, Plus||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|RnD Learning Program Specialist||Engineering and Development||Americas|
|Software Development at Shopify (Expression of Interest)||Engineering and Development||Americas|